POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.text.tutorials : Mesh's?????? Server Time
4 May 2024 16:39:19 EDT (-0400)
  Mesh's?????? (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: SHELLEYB1
Subject: Mesh's??????
Date: 8 Feb 1999 19:32:24
Message: <36BF8193.342D@prodigy.net>
What is a Mesh??????

Post a reply to this message

From: Ken
Subject: Re: Mesh's??????
Date: 8 Feb 1999 19:44:27
Message: <36BF84B0.78A21D12@pacbell.net>
SHELLEYB1 wrote:

> What is a Mesh??????

A mesh is by definition a group of triangles ranging in numbers
from 2 to many thousands or millions. They are commonly used
to make complex shapes that spheres and other pov shapes either
can't make in combinations or would be prohibitavly difficult to
make. Objects that are a good candidate for meshes are car bodies,
faces, animals, etc. Unfortuantly it nearly impossible to model
by hand with triangles but there are many external modeling programs
that will allow you to model a shape and then export to a Pov mesh
object. Triangles used to use a union for this but the memory usage
was very ineffecient and even more so if more than 1 union of the
same object was used. The programmers optimizes the program to allow
you to declare one mesh of objects, place several in a scene, and use
only as much memory as you would for one. There is a bit more because
textures for each object add to it but it is not as much memory used
as unions of triangles consumed.

Got it ?

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net

Post a reply to this message

> A mesh is by definition a group of triangles ranging in numbers
> from 2 to many thousands or millions. They are commonly used
> to make complex shapes that spheres and other pov shapes either
> can't make in combinations or would be prohibitavly difficult to
> make. Objects that are a good candidate for meshes are car bodies,
> faces, animals, etc. Unfortuantly it nearly impossible to model
> by hand with triangles but there are many external modeling programs
> that will allow you to model a shape and then export to a Pov mesh
> object. Triangles used to use a union for this but the memory usage
> was very ineffecient and even more so if more than 1 union of the
> same object was used. The programmers optimizes the program to allow
> you to declare one mesh of objects, place several in a scene, and use
> only as much memory as you would for one. There is a bit more because
> textures for each object add to it but it is not as much memory used
> as unions of triangles consumed.
>
> Got it ?
>
> --
> Ken Tyler
>
> mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net

I still don't get it....  and i was just going to post about this myself.

BTW what is the difference in mesh and Mesh2 for superpatch?

Post a reply to this message