POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.text.tutorials : Help Please!:Camera inside solid object and media Server Time
18 May 2024 14:07:24 EDT (-0400)
  Help Please!:Camera inside solid object and media (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: rusot
Subject: Help Please!:Camera inside solid object and media
Date: 26 Jan 1999 06:22:21
Message: <36ADA58B.78D7@jet.es>

program 10 days ago), and I have a relative lack of knowledge even of
the basic foundations of raytracing and optics in general.

  I have a question that arised from reading the 3.1a Main
Documentation. It is about putting a camera inside a solid (non-hollow)
object, and not being able to render media effects. Does this mean that
if I put a camera inside a solid, transparent object (Like a crystal
block), and I have some media defined outside of this object my camera
will not see it? The documents talk about this in EMPTY AND SOLID
OBJECTS, and it alludes to a "pitfall in the empty/solid object
implementation", but I am confused with the explanations that are
offered. For example, it is said that "In order to be able to put solid
objects inside a media or fog, a test has to be made for every ray that
passes through the media. If this ray travels through a solid object the

calculated in the part that the ray travels inside the object, but in
that point the ray can have information already about media outside the
object, am I wrong?

  Also, I did a test scene in which I placed a crystal block with ground

this the opposite to what is said in the Main Documentation in the
section FOG AND HOLLOW OBJECTS?

  Please, help me in this. It is really frustrating not to be able to
find an answer to this (apparently) easy questions.

  Thanks!

Post a reply to this message

> program 10 days ago), and I have a relative lack of knowledge even of
> the basic foundations of raytracing and optics in general.
>
>   I have a question that arised from reading the 3.1a Main
> Documentation. It is about putting a camera inside a solid (non-hollow)
> object, and not being able to render media effects. Does this mean that
> if I put a camera inside a solid, transparent object (Like a crystal
> block), and I have some media defined outside of this object my camera
> will not see it? The documents talk about this in EMPTY AND SOLID
> OBJECTS, and it alludes to a "pitfall in the empty/solid object
> implementation", but I am confused with the explanations that are
> offered. For example, it is said that "In order to be able to put solid
> objects inside a media or fog, a test has to be made for every ray that
> passes through the media. If this ray travels through a solid object the

> calculated in the part that the ray travels inside the object, but in
> that point the ray can have information already about media outside the
> object, am I wrong?
>
>   Also, I did a test scene in which I placed a crystal block with ground

> this the opposite to what is said in the Main Documentation in the
> section FOG AND HOLLOW OBJECTS?
>
>   Please, help me in this. It is really frustrating not to be able to
> find an answer to this (apparently) easy questions.
>
>   Thanks!

Post a reply to this message

> > program 10 days ago), and I have a relative lack of knowledge even of
> > the basic foundations of raytracing and optics in general.
> >
> >   I have a question that arised from reading the 3.1a Main
> > Documentation. It is about putting a camera inside a solid (non-hollow)
> > object, and not being able to render media effects. Does this mean that
> > if I put a camera inside a solid, transparent object (Like a crystal
> > block), and I have some media defined outside of this object my camera
> > will not see it? The documents talk about this in EMPTY AND SOLID
> > OBJECTS, and it alludes to a "pitfall in the empty/solid object
> > implementation", but I am confused with the explanations that are
> > offered. For example, it is said that "In order to be able to put solid
> > objects inside a media or fog, a test has to be made for every ray that
> > passes through the media. If this ray travels through a solid object the

> > calculated in the part that the ray travels inside the object, but in
> > that point the ray can have information already about media outside the
> > object, am I wrong?
> >
> >   Also, I did a test scene in which I placed a crystal block with ground

> > this the opposite to what is said in the Main Documentation in the
> > section FOG AND HOLLOW OBJECTS?
> >
> >   Please, help me in this. It is really frustrating not to be able to
> > find an answer to this (apparently) easy questions.
> >
> >   Thanks!

Post a reply to this message

> > > program 10 days ago), and I have a relative lack of knowledge even of
> > > the basic foundations of raytracing and optics in general.
> > >
> > >   I have a question that arised from reading the 3.1a Main
> > > Documentation. It is about putting a camera inside a solid (non-hollow)
> > > object, and not being able to render media effects. Does this mean that
> > > if I put a camera inside a solid, transparent object (Like a crystal
> > > block), and I have some media defined outside of this object my camera
> > > will not see it? The documents talk about this in EMPTY AND SOLID
> > > OBJECTS, and it alludes to a "pitfall in the empty/solid object
> > > implementation", but I am confused with the explanations that are
> > > offered. For example, it is said that "In order to be able to put solid
> > > objects inside a media or fog, a test has to be made for every ray that
> > > passes through the media. If this ray travels through a solid object the

> > > calculated in the part that the ray travels inside the object, but in
> > > that point the ray can have information already about media outside the
> > > object, am I wrong?
> > >
> > >   Also, I did a test scene in which I placed a crystal block with ground

> > > this the opposite to what is said in the Main Documentation in the
> > > section FOG AND HOLLOW OBJECTS?
> > >
> > >   Please, help me in this. It is really frustrating not to be able to
> > > find an answer to this (apparently) easy questions.
> > >
> > >   Thanks!
  Thanks for your help, Steve. The link that you sent me too has taught

  However, there is still a couple doubts that come from the SOLID AND
EMPTY OBJECTS section in the POV documentation. In fact, it is
emphasized about the need to be careful when we have a camera inside a
non-hollow (solid) object. What difference does it make if the camera is
inside or outside? For example, if the object was solid but transparent,

expected. Am I wrong?

  Once more, thanks for your help!

  Ruben

Post a reply to this message