POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Help Please!:Camera inside solid object and media : Re: THANKS! Server Time
2 Jun 2024 02:06:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: THANKS!
From: Ruben Soto
Date: 27 Jan 1999 06:24:23
Message: <36AEF77F.2EE7@jet.es>
Stephen Lavedas wrote:

> Check the VFAQ
> http://www.students.tut.fi/~warp/povVFAQ.html#hollowobjects
>
> Steve
>
> Ruben Soto wrote:
> >
> > rus### [at] jetes wrote:
> > >

> > > program 10 days ago), and I have a relative lack of knowledge even of
> > > the basic foundations of raytracing and optics in general.
> > >
> > >   I have a question that arised from reading the 3.1a Main
> > > Documentation. It is about putting a camera inside a solid (non-hollow)
> > > object, and not being able to render media effects. Does this mean that
> > > if I put a camera inside a solid, transparent object (Like a crystal
> > > block), and I have some media defined outside of this object my camera
> > > will not see it? The documents talk about this in EMPTY AND SOLID
> > > OBJECTS, and it alludes to a "pitfall in the empty/solid object
> > > implementation", but I am confused with the explanations that are
> > > offered. For example, it is said that "In order to be able to put solid
> > > objects inside a media or fog, a test has to be made for every ray that
> > > passes through the media. If this ray travels through a solid object the

> > > calculated in the part that the ray travels inside the object, but in
> > > that point the ray can have information already about media outside the
> > > object, am I wrong?
> > >
> > >   Also, I did a test scene in which I placed a crystal block with ground

> > > this the opposite to what is said in the Main Documentation in the
> > > section FOG AND HOLLOW OBJECTS?
> > >
> > >   Please, help me in this. It is really frustrating not to be able to
> > > find an answer to this (apparently) easy questions.
> > >
> > >   Thanks!
  Thanks for your help, Steve. The link that you sent me too has taught

  However, there is still a couple doubts that come from the SOLID AND
EMPTY OBJECTS section in the POV documentation. In fact, it is
emphasized about the need to be careful when we have a camera inside a
non-hollow (solid) object. What difference does it make if the camera is
inside or outside? For example, if the object was solid but transparent,

expected. Am I wrong?

  Once more, thanks for your help!

  Ruben