POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.text.tutorials : High Field Demo Problem Server Time
4 May 2024 23:25:51 EDT (-0400)
  High Field Demo Problem (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: Jim Standlee
Subject: High Field Demo Problem
Date: 29 Dec 1998 16:51:38
Message: <36894eea.0@news.povray.org>
I am just starting out in Povray and have a question/problem. I got down to
hfdemo.pov and got an error: Error opening TGA image. I have looked in help
under TGA but cannot find any references to this problem.

Source:
#include "colors.inc"

   camera{
    location <0, 2, -10>
    look_at 0
    angle 30
   }

   light_source{ <1000,1000,-1000> White }

   height_field {
    tga "image.tga"
    smooth
    pigment { White }
    translate <-.5, -.5, -.5>
    scale <17, 1.75, 17>
    }

O/S: Win95, Pentium 2, 64 MB RAM, 6.4 GB Disk (half used)
Vers 3.1a for Win/NT

I am assuming the image.tga is a temp file created in the default image
directory. I don't think this can possibly be a permission issue. Can
someone please give me clue?

Thanks in advance

Jim Standlee
(email jim### [at] hotmailcom)

Post a reply to this message

>I am just starting out in Povray and have a question/problem. I got down to
>hfdemo.pov and got an error: Error opening TGA image. I have looked in help
>under TGA but cannot find any references to this problem.
>
>Source:
>#include "colors.inc"
>
>   camera{
>    location <0, 2, -10>
>    look_at 0
>    angle 30
>   }
>
>   light_source{ <1000,1000,-1000> White }
>
>   height_field {
>    tga "image.tga"
>    smooth
>    pigment { White }
>    translate <-.5, -.5, -.5>
>    scale <17, 1.75, 17>
>    }
>
>O/S: Win95, Pentium 2, 64 MB RAM, 6.4 GB Disk (half used)
>Vers 3.1a for Win/NT
>
>I am assuming the image.tga is a temp file created in the default image
>directory. I don't think this can possibly be a permission issue. Can
>someone please give me clue?
>
>Thanks in advance
>
>Jim Standlee
>(email jim### [at] hotmailcom)

Have you read the docs?  You should change the "image.tga" into the name of
the image you want to use as a heightmap for the heightfield.  It looks like
you don't know this, but TGA is just a shortcut for Targa.  It's a file
format for images with up to 24 bits of colors (16777216 colors).  That's
one of the many image formats POV-Ray can read.  Just chearching to TGA as a
keyword won't give you results.
For a newbie, it might be useful to first read the entire docs.  If you
don't understand a part, just skip it until you need it.  (At least that's
how I've learned to use the POVRay description language.)

Hope this helps

ZK