POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.text.tutorials : Media help Server Time
5 May 2024 03:15:36 EDT (-0400)
  Media help (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Fabio Pellacini
Subject: Media help
Date: 30 Sep 1998 10:54:29
Message: <36123815.0@news.povray.org>
Hi,
I am very interested in volumetric rendering, and since now POV have this
ability I try to play with it just a bit.
The fact is that I can only render volumetric fire or clouds that appears to
be "pointilized". I mea I can't get a continuos color inside the flame for
example. The fact is that if you take a photo of a flamne, the "interior"
appears continuos, so the question is,
there is some ways of taking away the pointilized effect?

Thanks a lot

            --fabio

-----------------
Fabio Pellacini
Ph.D. student - CS Dept. of Cornell U.
e-mail:   fab### [at] cscornelledu
web-page: http://www.cs.cornell.edu/fabio

'samples 10,20' is 10 minimum, 20 maximum so maybe 25,30 or more. This slows
things down but smooths the volume out.
It varies for the object (area). Think scaling up a little might smooth it too
but I've not done much with media yet. Just a Saturns rings and small lights.

Message <36123815.0@news.povray.org>, Fabio Pellacini  typed...

>Hi,
>I am very interested in volumetric rendering, and since now POV have this
>ability I try to play with it just a bit.
>The fact is that I can only render volumetric fire or clouds that appears to
>be "pointilized". I mea I can't get a continuos color inside the flame for
>example. The fact is that if you take a photo of a flamne, the "interior"
>appears continuos, so the question is,
>there is some ways of taking away the pointilized effect?
>
>Thanks a lot
>
>            --fabio
>
>-----------------
>Fabio Pellacini
>Ph.D. student - CS Dept. of Cornell U.
>e-mail:   fab### [at] cscornelledu
>web-page: http://www.cs.cornell.edu/fabio

 omniVERSE: beyond the universe
  http://members.aol.com/inversez/POVring.html
=Bob

Post a reply to this message

There should be a tutorial about using media because it is frustrating to wait a
long time just to see nothing. Is there anybody who has enough time to simply show
some examples of atmospheric media. Even better would be an Inc. file containing
several settings for different media settings.

=Bob wrote:

> Lots of samples, perhaps?
> 'samples 10,20' is 10 minimum, 20 maximum so maybe 25,30 or more. This slows
> things down but smooths the volume out.
> It varies for the object (area). Think scaling up a little might smooth it too
> but I've not done much with media yet. Just a Saturns rings and small lights.
>
> Message <36123815.0@news.povray.org>, Fabio Pellacini  typed...
> >
> >Hi,
> >I am very interested in volumetric rendering, and since now POV have this
> >ability I try to play with it just a bit.
> >The fact is that I can only render volumetric fire or clouds that appears to
> >be "pointilized". I mea I can't get a continuos color inside the flame for
> >example. The fact is that if you take a photo of a flamne, the "interior"
> >appears continuos, so the question is,
> >there is some ways of taking away the pointilized effect?
> >
> >Thanks a lot
> >
> >            --fabio

> >Fabio Pellacini
> >Ph.D. student - CS Dept. of Cornell U.