POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.text.scene-files : Maya test scenes turned POV Server Time
28 Jun 2024 22:54:56 EDT (-0400)
  Maya test scenes turned POV (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: hughes b
Subject: Maya test scenes turned POV
Date: 24 Aug 2002 16:09:29
Message: <3d67e7f9@news.povray.org>
// Persistence of Vision Ray Tracer Scene Description File
// File: raytracing tests.pov
// Vers: 3.5
// Desc: my first attempt at mimicking test scenes used at
//  http://www.cs.utah.edu/~bes/papers/scenes/paper-node3.html
// Date: 2002.647
// Auth: Bob Hughes, see web page for originating author
/*
Note: text in comments are descriptions copied from those web pages.
Again, this is only a trial run to try duplicating those test scenes and I
post this
so anyone may have some starting point if they wish.
Not much I can say beyond what's found there.
Also, since I might not go further myself, this would possibly be all I have
to share.
Thanks, Alessandro Morelli, from p.b.i this date, for putting this tune in
my head ;-) only kidding.
*/

#version 3.5;

/* 1=emission, 2=shadow, 3=large spatial extent, 4=complex illumination
paths, 5=geometric accuracy */

#declare Test=5; // which?

#declare Reflect=no; // only used with test 4

global_settings
{
        radiosity
        {
                brightness 1 // increase for test 4
                recursion_limit 2
        }
#if (Reflect=yes)
photons
{
        spacing 0.03
}
#end
}

// TEXTURES

#declare PlainWhite_T=
texture
{
        pigment
        {
                color rgb 1
        }
        finish
        {
                ambient 0.1
                diffuse 0.6
        }
}

#declare PlainWhiteBright_T=
texture
{
        pigment
        {
                color rgb 1
        }
        finish
        {
                ambient 1
                diffuse 1
        }
}

#declare PlainDiffuse_T=
texture
{
        pigment
        {
                color rgb 1
        }
        finish
        {
                ambient 0.1
                diffuse 1
        }
}

#declare NormalDiffuse_T=
texture
{
        pigment
        {
                color rgb 1
        }
        normal
        {
                bumps
                1
        }
        finish
        {
                ambient 0.1
                diffuse 1
        }
}

#declare PlainReflect_T=
texture
{
        pigment
        {
                color rgb 0
        }
        finish
        {
                ambient 0
                diffuse 0
                reflection
                {
                        1,1
                }
        }
}

// TEST SCENES

#switch (Test)
#case (1)

/* Emission:
This scene is composed of two rectangular lights illuminating a ground
plane.
The right rectangular lights is tessellated into 10 by 10 polygons, and the
left is a single polygon (Figure 1).
The scene tests accurate unoccluded transfer from lights to receivers. In
particular, it checks sampling algorithms
and that the effect of the 100 small lights is equal to the single large
light.
The symmetry of the image allows a simple sanity check by flipping the image
across the vertical axis
and comparing it with itself.

Most algorithm methods should be able to compute an arbitrarily accurate
solution to this environment given enough time.
Mesh-based approaches may have some trouble with the singularity at the
corners, and algorithms that draw samples
from the light may have trouble as the distance to the light goes to zero.
*/

camera
{
        location 10*y
        look_at 0
}

box
{
        -1,1
        texture
        {
                PlainWhite_T
        }
        scale <10,0.5,10>
        translate -y/2
}

// LIGHTING
#declare SinglepartPoly=
polygon
{
        5,
        <-1,0>,
        <1,0>,
        <1,2>,
        <-1,2>,
        <-1,0>
        texture
        {
                PlainWhiteBright_T
        }
        rotate 90*y
        translate -y
}

light_source
{
        0,
        1
        looks_like
        {
                SinglepartPoly
        }
        spotlight
        point_at x
        radius 1
        falloff 90
        area_light
        <0,1,0>,
        <0,0,1>,
        4,
        4
        jitter
        fade_distance 2
        fade_power 1
        translate <-5,1,0>
}

#declare LittlePoly=
polygon
{
        5,
        <-1,0>,
        <1,0>,
        <1,2>,
        <-1,2>,
        <-1,0>
        texture
        {
                PlainWhiteBright_T
        }
        scale 0.1
        rotate -90*y
        translate -y
}

#declare MultipartPoly=
union
{
        #declare i=1;
#while (i>-1)
        #declare j=2;
#while (j>0)
light_source
{
        0,
        0.01
        looks_like
        {
                LittlePoly
        }
        spotlight
        point_at -x
        radius 1
        falloff 90
        area_light
        <0,0.01,0>,
        <0,0,0.01>,
        4,
        4
        jitter
        fade_distance 2
        fade_power 1
        translate <0,j,i>
        translate <5,1,0>
}
        #declare j=j-0.2;
#end
        #declare i=i-0.2;
#end
}

object
{
        MultipartPoly
}

#break
#case (2)

/* Shadow:
This scene tests accurate transfer in the presence of occluders.
It contains a single light source, 8 long beams, and a ground plane (Figure
2).
The light is rotated so that it is parallel to the plane formed by the tops
of the lower set of beams
and so that its edges are parallel with the major edges of the lower set of
beams.
The height between the occluding objects and the floor varies from
penetrating the ground plane
to high enough to eliminate the umbra. The orientation of the light causes
D1 shadow discontinuities
on the ground plane. */

camera
{
        location <0,2.5,-7.5>
        look_at y/2
}

// LIGHTING
#declare SinglepartPoly=
polygon
{
        5,
        <-1,0>,
        <1,0>,
        <1,2>,
        <-1,2>,
        <-1,0>
        texture
        {
                PlainWhiteBright_T
        }
        rotate 90*x
        translate -z
}

light_source
{
        0,
        1
        looks_like
        {
                SinglepartPoly
        }
        spotlight
        point_at x
        radius 1
        falloff 90
        area_light
        <0,5,0>,
        <0,0,5>,
        5,
        5
        jitter
        fade_distance 33
        fade_power 1
        translate -33*x
        rotate <0,-15,-90>
}

box // floor
{
        -1,1
        texture
        {
                PlainWhite_T
        }
        scale <10,0.5,10>
        translate -y/2
}

#declare BoxGrid=
union
{
        #declare i=2.5;
#while (i>-2.5)
box
{
        -1,1
        scale <0.25,0.25,2.5>
        translate <i,0,0>
}
        #declare i=i-1.25;
#end
        texture
        {
                PlainWhite_T
        }
        translate -0.75*x
}

// SHADOW OBJECTS
object
{
        BoxGrid
        rotate 0
        translate 3*y
}

object
{
        BoxGrid
        rotate <22.5,-45,0>
        translate y
}

#break
#case (3)

/* Large Spatial Extent:
This scene has a large spatial extent, however the camera is positioned on a
very small portion of the scene.
The scene itself consists of a large ground plane, light, and blocker
directly below and the same size as the light.
Underneath the large blocker is a small light and blocker pair scaled down
in width and depth by a factor of 10.
The small light aims up. The camera looks under the large blocker (Figure
3).
Algorithms that compute global solutions or sample lights based on the
energy of each light may have trouble
getting a high enough accuracy over the visible pixels, as 99% of the energy
in the scene is due to the large light,
but much of the visible energy is due to the small light. */

camera
{
        location <0,5,-10>
        look_at y/2
}

plane // floor
{
        y,
        0
        texture
        {
                PlainWhite_T
        }
}

// LIGHTING
// overhead light
#declare SinglepartPoly=
polygon
{
        5,
        <-1,0>,
        <1,0>,
        <1,2>,
        <-1,2>,
        <-1,0>
        texture
        {
                PlainWhiteBright_T
        }
        scale 50
        rotate 90*x
        translate -50*z
}

light_source
{
        0,
        1
        looks_like
        {
                SinglepartPoly
        }
        spotlight
        point_at -y
        radius 1
        falloff 90
        area_light
        <100,0,0>,
        <0,0,100>,
        50,
        50
        jitter
        adaptive 2
        orient
        circular
        fade_distance 50
        fade_power 1
        translate 100*y
}

box // large light block
{
        -1,1
        texture
        {
                PlainWhite_T
        }
        scale <4,0.1,4>
        translate 3*y
}

// underside light
#declare SinglepartPoly=
polygon
{
        5,
        <-1,0>,
        <1,0>,
        <1,2>,
        <-1,2>,
        <-1,0>
        texture
        {
                PlainWhiteBright_T
        }
        scale 1
        rotate 90*x
        translate -z
}

light_source
{
        0,
        3
       // looks_like
       // {
       //         SinglepartPoly
       // }
        spotlight
        point_at y
        radius 1
        falloff 90
        area_light
        <1,0,0>,
        <0,0,1>,
        5,
        5
        jitter
        adaptive 1
        orient
        circular
       // fade_distance 2.5
       // fade_power 1
        translate y/1.5
}

box // small light block
{
        -1,1
        texture
        {
                PlainWhite_T
        }
        scale <4,0.1,4>/10
        translate y/2
}

#break
#case (4)

/* Complex Illumination Paths:
This scene checks complex illumination paths. It consists of a ground plane
with a light underneath.
The light shines on a diffuse surface to the side of the ground plane.
All illumination on the visible objects is from this secondary luminaire
(Figure 4).
The secondary luminaire and the block on the ground plane create a very
definite shadow and
the light reflected off the block creates a visible indirect effect.
Light can arrive in the umbra of this shadow only after 3 or more other
interactions with diffuse surfaces.

A simple change to this scene can create a good test of the correct handling
of specular objects.
Replacing the diffuse cube with a mirrored cube creates a scene with a
reflection of a caustic caused by
a secondary source. It also eliminates the possibility of light reaching the
umbra. */

camera
{
        location <0,10,-10>
        look_at y/2
}

// LIGHTING
light_source
{
        0,
        3
       // looks_like
       // {
       //         SinglepartPoly
       // }
       // spotlight
       // point_at -x
       // radius 1
       // falloff 90
       // area_light
       // <1,0,0>,
       // <0,0,1>,
       // 5,
       // 5
       // jitter
       // adaptive 1
//        orient
//        circular
       // fade_distance 2.5
       // fade_power 1
        translate -2*y
#if (Reflect=yes)
photons
{
        reflection on
        refraction off
}
#end
}

box // floor
{
        -1,1
        texture
        {
                PlainWhite_T
        }
        scale <10,0.1,10>
        translate -y/10
}

box // "luminaire"
{
        -1,1
        texture
        {
                NormalDiffuse_T
        }
        scale <0.1,10,10>
        rotate -12*z
        translate -12*x
}

#if (Reflect!=yes)

box // diffusing object
{
        -1,1
        texture
        {
                PlainDiffuse_T
        }
        scale <1,1,1>
        rotate <0,45,0>
        translate y
}

#else

box // reflecting object
{
        -1,1
        texture
        {
                PlainReflect_T
        }
        scale <1,1,1>
        rotate <0,45,0>
        translate y
photons
{
        target
        reflection on
        refraction off
        collect on
}
}

#end

#break
#case (5)

/* Geometric Accuracy:
This model consists of 3 cubes and a wedge on a ground plane (Figure 5).
It contains a few of the more common geometric problems in models.
The leftmost cube penetrates the ground plane by 1% of its height.
The rightmost cube is raised above the ground plane by 1%.
A corner of the center cube sticks through the ground plane as well.
The center object is a wedge viewed from the thin side.
All objects are rotated slightly from alignment with the ground plane axes.
Many rendering methods that store energy on surfaces or volumes will have
trouble with light or
shadow leaks near the point of the wedge. Some ray tracing based approaches
using tolerances may exhibit
a similar problem here as well, as the shadow rays may start on the wrong
side of the wedge.
The cubes check the robustness of meshing algorithms. */

camera
{
        location <0,5,-10>
        look_at y/2