POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.text.scene-files : what kind of language is it? Server Time
30 Jun 2024 04:08:23 EDT (-0400)
  what kind of language is it? (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Christian Parpart
Subject: what kind of language is it?
Date: 17 Jul 2002 11:28:48
Message: <3d358d2f@news.povray.org>

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Subject: Re: what kind of language is it?
Date: 17 Jul 2002 12:11:34
Message: <3d359736@news.povray.org>
Christian Parpart <cpa### [at] surakwarenet> wrote:
> Well, as of the documentation it's a scene-describing-language.
> That's IMHO kind of markup language (please correct me).
> Though, it's no programming language, such as C, C++, or Pascal, is it?

  No, it's not a markup language. It's a scripting language.
  By all means the POV-Ray SDL is a programming language (eg. it's
Turing-strong).

  Of course the POV-Ray SDL has basically two parts: The scene description
part and the scripting part. Roughly speaking, any command starting with #
is a scripting command (although there are exceptions to this, eg. #default).
  The scripting commands are used to create scene description. The scene
description is what creates the scene.
  If you are not using scripting commands at all, then it might not be
considered "programming" because you are simply describing the scene,
without making any script which generates the scene.
  However, for example my signature is a good example of programming with
the POV-Ray SDL.

> (what do you
> say in HTML?) is it programming? isn't it?

  No, you don't program HTML because HTML is not a programming language.