POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.text.scene-files : what kind of language is it? : Re: what kind of language is it? Server Time
2 Jul 2024 02:35:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: what kind of language is it?
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 20 Jul 2002 10:26:53
Message: <chrishuff-C15B0B.09215320072002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3d359736@news.povray.org>, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg>
wrote:

> Christian Parpart <cpa### [at] surakwarenet> wrote:
> > Well, as of the documentation it's a scene-describing-language.
> > That's IMHO kind of markup language (please correct me).
> > Though, it's no programming language, such as C, C++, or Pascal, is it?
>
>   No, it's not a markup language. It's a scripting language.

Well, I would consider it a hybrid. It definitely has some
characteristics of a markup language, you could make a complete scene
without using anything resembling a programming command, but as you
said, it is Turing-strong.
I would say it is a programming language just as much as C, C++, Ruby,
Perl, Python, etc. (I consider "scripting languages" to be a subset of
programming languages) However, it was created by extending a markup
language, and can be used as just an ordinary markup/description
language if you want.

TAG web site: http://tag.povray.org/