POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Interior in Mesh/Mesh2 or Polygonal-Objects Server Time
1 Jun 2024 15:01:41 EDT (-0400)
  Interior in Mesh/Mesh2 or Polygonal-Objects (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Held OT
Subject: Interior in Mesh/Mesh2 or Polygonal-Objects
Date: 10 Jan 2005 09:10:00
Message: <web.41e28b1b78c5ef127d362a450@news.povray.org>
Hi...

I was thinking about a way to specify an interior for mesh/mesh2 or
polygonal objects. My incoming data will be a closed polygonal model or a
triangle mesh (I don't know for sure yet) - it shall resemble a solid
object. I will need refraction, attenuation and I guess dispersion to work
properly in it, so that the rays behaves like in a real solid object.

Is the only way to do it to change the mesh/meh2 or polygon - code in a way
that there can be a interior defined for it? - This would include a test if
the ray is inside entering or leaving the object, right? I hope for an
easier way, but I don't know where to start looking...

Can anybody give me a hint?

Post a reply to this message

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 09:06:39 EST, "Held_OT" <sve### [at] webde> wrote:
> I was thinking about a way to specify an interior for mesh/mesh2 or
> polygonal objects. (...) Can anybody give me a hint?

Hint: http://www.google.com/search?q=inside_vector+POV

ABX

Post a reply to this message

> I was thinking about a way to specify an interior for mesh/mesh2 or
> polygonal objects. My incoming data will be a closed polygonal model or a
> triangle mesh (I don't know for sure yet) - it shall resemble a solid
> object. I will need refraction, attenuation and I guess dispersion to work
> properly in it, so that the rays behaves like in a real solid object.

  Refraction, attenuation and dispersion work just ok regardless of
whether you are using a mesh or a sphere. They are in no way affected
by the "solidness" of the object.

> Is the only way to do it to change the mesh/meh2 or polygon - code in a way
> that there can be a interior defined for it? - This would include a test if
> the ray is inside entering or leaving the object, right? I hope for an
> easier way, but I don't know where to start looking...

  Have you actually *tried* what happens if you use refraction, etc.
with a mesh?