POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Realistic Cloud Shadow Scene Server Time
28 Jun 2024 02:18:48 EDT (-0400)
  Realistic Cloud Shadow Scene (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: CFM
Subject: Realistic Cloud Shadow Scene
Date: 10 May 2004 18:30:00
Message: <web.40a00210d2cd247c2a75c0910@news.povray.org>
My POV-ray tutorial told me that if I wanted the sun created by the
sky_sphere command to emit an apparent shadow through clouds, I'd have to
make a really large sky_sphere with the proper texture,and put the
light_source outside the sky_sphere. How do I do that, since the tutorial
never told me? Here's the programming language below I used to create the
sky_sphere with the sun and clouds, but the clouds do not cast shadows.

#include "colors.inc"
#include "finish.inc"
camera {
  location <0,1,-10>
  look_at <0,4,0>
  angle 80
}
light_source {<0,1e4,10000>White scale 1300}
sphere {
  <0,2,0>,1
  pigment {color rgb <1,1,1>}
  finish {ambient .2 diffuse 0 reflection .6}
}
sky_sphere {
  pigment {
    gradient y
    color_map {
      [0,.002 color rgb<1,.2,0>
              color rgb<1,.2,0>]
      [.002,.2 color rgb<.8,.1,0>
               color rgb<.2,.2,.3>]
    }
  }
  scale 2
  translate -1
  pigment {
  bozo
  turbulence .65
  octaves 6
  omega .7
  lambda 2
  color_map {
    [0,.1 color rgb<.5,.5,.5>
          color rgb<.75,.75,.75>]
    [.1,.5 color rgb<1,1,1>
           color rgbt<1,1,1,1>]
    [.5,1  color rgbt<1,1,1,1>
           color rgbt<1,1,1,1>]
  }
  scale .1
}
rotate -135*x
}
plane {
  y,0
  pigment {color Green}
  finish {ambient .3 diffuse .7}
}

Post a reply to this message

> My POV-ray tutorial told me that if I wanted the sun created by the
> sky_sphere command to emit an apparent shadow through clouds, I'd have to
> make a really large sky_sphere with the proper texture,and put the
> light_source outside the sky_sphere. How do I do that, since the tutorial
> never told me? Here's the programming language below I used to create the
> sky_sphere with the sun and clouds, but the clouds do not cast shadows.
>
> #include "colors.inc"

This is the wrong group for this question.  This group is for discussion of
the POV-Ray source code.  General questions about using the POV-Ray scene
description language should be asked in either povray.general or
povray.newusers.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde