POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Alternative rendering algorithm Server Time
28 Jun 2024 01:52:58 EDT (-0400)
  Alternative rendering algorithm (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Christopher James Huff
Subject: Alternative rendering algorithm
Date: 9 Apr 2004 14:41:30
Message: <cjameshuff-1204FF.14421809042004@news.povray.org>
The main reason glass objects are so slow to render is the fact that
they require tracing two additional rays for each ray that hits a glass
surface, one for reflection, one for refraction. This means that the
number of rays increases with trace level as the nth power of 2: at a
trace level of 2, 4 additional rays are required. With a trace level of
5, 25 additional rays are required. If you have max_trace_level of 12 in
a scene with a lot of glass, you may need to trace as many as 144 extra
rays.

Some time ago, I heard about another method that follows rays through
the scene one path at a time instead of splitting the rays at each
surface. When a surface that both reflects and refracts is hit, one of
the two is chosen at random. This is done many times for each pixel,
sampling the possible light paths without taking the time to compute all
of the deepest, least important paths and taking care of antialiasing at
the same time.

I did some tests using my own raytracer, and it is possible to get good
results with a very good increase in rendering speed. I've come up with
two different algorithms based on this technique. The first chooses
randomly between refraction and reflection for each material evaluation,
which gives grainy results unless a lot of samples are used. The second
makes these choices for an entire pass of the image. That is, it renders
the image in multiple passes, deciding whether to do reflection or
refraction for each trace level and using the same choices for the
entire image pass. 64 passes with this technique took 5 minutes, where
the traditional technique required 9 minutes.

I've posted three images in povray.binaries.images demonstrating the
traditional method and the two new methods.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: <chr### [at] tagpovrayorg>
http://tag.povray.org/

Post a reply to this message

> Some time ago, I heard about another method that follows rays through
> the scene one path at a time instead of splitting the rays at each
> surface. When a surface that both reflects and refracts is hit, one of
> the two is chosen at random.

That's how you do it with path tracing - noisy images are usually the
result unless you use really lot of samples.

> I did some tests using my own raytracer, and it is possible to get good
> results with a very good increase in rendering speed. I've come up with
> two different algorithms based on this technique. The first chooses
> randomly between refraction and reflection for each material evaluation,
> which gives grainy results unless a lot of samples are used. The second
> makes these choices for an entire pass of the image. That is, it renders
> the image in multiple passes, deciding whether to do reflection or
> refraction for each trace level and using the same choices for the
> entire image pass. 64 passes with this technique took 5 minutes, where
> the traditional technique required 9 minutes.

You mean 64 passes together 5 minutes?  And how do you combine them?

The problem also is you usually don't have only reflection and
refraction but also a diffuse part.

> I've posted three images in povray.binaries.images demonstrating the
> traditional method and the two new methods.

Were not viewable here.

Christoph

Last updated 21 Mar. 2004 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______

Post a reply to this message