POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Alternative rendering algorithm : Re: Alternative rendering algorithm Server Time
30 Jun 2024 12:18:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Alternative rendering algorithm
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 9 Apr 2004 20:17:12
Message: <cjameshuff-9FD7D7.20175909042004@news.povray.org>
In article <c56tkq$mtt$1@chho.imagico.de>,

> That's how you do it with path tracing - noisy images are usually the
> result unless you use really lot of samples.

The second path tracing method uses the same choices for every pixel of
a pass, removing the noisiness. However, that means the entire image is
equally inaccurate if you use too few samples. (or get really unlucky)

I've also had good results with using single-path tracing once the trace
level reaches a certain depth. Splitting for the first 3 levels and then
following single paths seems to give good results with few samples, and
trimming out enough of the deeper rays to give a good speedup.

> You mean 64 passes together 5 minutes?

Yes.

> And how do you combine them?

A simple average. Each pass is traced at a slight offset, with the
result of the ray origins covering the pixels.

> The problem also is you usually don't have only reflection and
> refraction but also a diffuse part.

That's always computed, no matter what. I could make it a third "path",
but I don't think the results would be very good.

> > I've posted three images in povray.binaries.images demonstrating the
> > traditional method and the two new methods.
> >

> Were not viewable here.

Try the new posts.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: <chr### [at] tagpovrayorg>