POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : isosurface landscapes Server Time
17 Jun 2024 03:09:53 EDT (-0400)
  isosurface landscapes (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Bryan Valencia
Subject: isosurface landscapes
Date: 3 Feb 2005 17:40:36
Message: <4202a864$1@news.povray.org>
I have been playing with this, and am having trouble with a 3
levels-of-detail iso landscape.

I'm using a marble function to do large features like canyons and mountains,
a noise function to do dunes, and a granite function to do 'grain'.

The main problem I'm encountering is that I can't get large features large
enough.  My mountains are all exactly 20 feet tall.

I am really getting tired of rendering 10000x10000 images to use for height
fields. I'd love to figger this isosurface thing out.

Is there a way to use a function to do something like this?

- Start with f_marble
- Scale they Y by 'distance from x=0,z=0'.  So there would be this little
valley in the center and the mountains would be around the outside.

I tried using f_myMarble(x/100,y/100,z/100)*1000 but no go.

f_myMarble is the same as in 'functions.inc' but with turbulence added.

Post a reply to this message