POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : Paralel GPU processor support for Nvidia CUDA architecture Server Time
18 Apr 2024 17:06:36 EDT (-0400)
  Paralel GPU processor support for Nvidia CUDA architecture (Message 11 to 15 of 15)
From: Chambers
Subject: Re: Paralel GPU processor support for Nvidia CUDA architecture
Date: 12 Dec 2009 12:58:06
Message: <4b23d9ae$1@news.povray.org>
JAppleyard wrote:
> People are doing raytracing on CUDA already

With fixed recursion levels.  Not good enough.

...Chambers

Post a reply to this message

From: Kevin Wampler
Date: 12 Dec 2009 13:34:22
Message: <4b23e22e$1@news.povray.org>
Chambers wrote:
> JAppleyard wrote:
>> People are doing raytracing on CUDA already
>
> With fixed recursion levels.  Not good enough.

Although I don't really think it's worth the POV-team's limited time
working on it, raytracing with limited recursion levels (and maybe other
restrictions) on the GPU could be very useful for fast lower-quality
renders used while modeling a scene -- similar to the current Quality=n
setting.

Post a reply to this message

Kevin Wampler <wam### [at] uwashingtonedu> wrote:
> Although I don't really think it's worth the POV-team's limited time
> working on it, raytracing with limited recursion levels (and maybe other
> restrictions) on the GPU could be very useful for fast lower-quality
> renders used while modeling a scene -- similar to the current Quality=n
> setting.

  It's not only about the quality of the rendering (in other words,
whether you could express all the textures, media and lighting features
of POV-Ray in CUDA), but also whether you can trace all POV-Ray primitives
with CUDA. Can you, for example, trace isosurfaces, the poly object or the
julia object with CUDA (even the next generation one)?

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message