POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : Paralel GPU processor support for Nvidia CUDA architecture : Re: Paralel GPU processor support for Nvidia CUDA architecture Server Time
2 May 2024 08:44:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Paralel GPU processor support for Nvidia CUDA architecture
From: Kevin Wampler
Date: 12 Dec 2009 18:02:03
Message: <4b2420eb$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   It's not only about the quality of the rendering (in other words,
> whether you could express all the textures, media and lighting features
> of POV-Ray in CUDA), but also whether you can trace all POV-Ray primitives
> with CUDA. Can you, for example, trace isosurfaces, the poly object or the
> julia object with CUDA (even the next generation one)?

I definitely agree with this, but I think even an incomplete set of POV
features could be implemented on a GPU it might still prove very useful
for modeling.  I suppose the question is if enough of the features can
be implemented to be generally useful.  Unfortunately I haven't ever
messed around with GPU programming so I can't answer this question.

Again, I'd personally prefer that the POV team spend their time on other
things, but I still sort of hope that someone else who's interested
makes a solid attempt at this sometime.