POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Solar cooling? Server Time
4 Sep 2024 19:19:59 EDT (-0400)
  Solar cooling? (Message 71 to 71 of 71)
From: Phil Cook v2
Subject: Re: Solar cooling?
Date: 19 May 2010 12:22:00
Message: <op.vcynrbjjmn4jds@phils>
And lo On Wed, 19 May 2010 12:52:17 +0100, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> did
spake thusly:

> Phil Cook v2 <phi### [at] nospamrocainfreeservecouk> wrote:
>> The water is 'sucked' in because the cooling air inside the beaker
>> lowers
>> the pressure, but prior to that the air was hot and therefore should be
>> at
>> a higher pressure and force the water out of the beaker. Why does water
>> out not equal water in?
>
>   The glass is put on the plate *after* the candle has been lit, so the
> air
> around the candle is already hot.

But the air around the "air around the candle" isn't as hot as it
transmits the heat along so you get a temperature gradient around the
candle prior to the beaker. Put the beaker over it and the air at the edge
cannot transmit the heat as quickly so it gets hotter.

>   An interesting experiment would be to put the glass first and *then*
> light
> the candle to see what happens. (Of course you have to devise a way to do
> that. A magnifying glass and sunrays might be enough.)

Now that is something to try.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com