POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Why Grammar software annoys me (yet I won't stop using it) Server Time
4 Sep 2024 19:24:16 EDT (-0400)
  Why Grammar software annoys me (yet I won't stop using it) (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: Chambers
Subject: Why Grammar software annoys me (yet I won't stop using it)
Date: 13 Dec 2009 21:33:56
Message: <4b25a414$1@news.povray.org>
The following sentence raises a warning in MS Word:
Both fields value experience.

When I ask for suggestions, it says I'm missing the possessive
apostrophe in "fields".  At least it's smart enough to recognize that it
could either be singular or plural possessive.

However, it is NOT smart enough to recognize that, in this case, the
noun is simply plural and NOT possessive.

I like leaving the grammar check on (it is legitimately useful, though
it is not the ultimate authority), but things like this still bug me.

I wonder how often people restructure perfectly legitimate writing in
order to avoid potential warnings with such grammar checks in word
processing programs?  After all, we've already seen a "Powerpoint
effect" in presentations, where people structure their data so that is
most effective when displayed in Powerpoint (I've even read an
apocryphal story about a college professor who dropped their favorite
book from their literature class, because the themes were too complex to
fit nicely onto Powerpoint slides).

Grr.

...Chambers

Post a reply to this message

> I like leaving the grammar check on (it is legitimately useful, though
> it is not the ultimate authority), but things like this still bug me.

I've not used it for years. It rarely caught genuine errors beyond half-written
sentences, and instead suggested I modify perfectly good English until it
wasn't.

> I wonder how often people restructure perfectly legitimate writing in
> order to avoid potential warnings with such grammar checks in word
> processing programs?

Ooh, all too often I'm sure.

Post a reply to this message

> I've not used it for years. It rarely caught genuine errors beyond half-written
> sentences, and instead suggested I modify perfectly good English until it
> wasn't.

Agreed.

(Actually, I haven't turned it off yet. I just routinely ignore it.)

Post a reply to this message