POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Why Grammar software annoys me (yet I won't stop using it) : Why Grammar software annoys me (yet I won't stop using it) Server Time
4 Sep 2024 17:22:18 EDT (-0400)
  Why Grammar software annoys me (yet I won't stop using it)
From: Chambers
Date: 13 Dec 2009 21:33:56
Message: <4b25a414$1@news.povray.org>
The following sentence raises a warning in MS Word:
Both fields value experience.

When I ask for suggestions, it says I'm missing the possessive
apostrophe in "fields".  At least it's smart enough to recognize that it
could either be singular or plural possessive.

However, it is NOT smart enough to recognize that, in this case, the
noun is simply plural and NOT possessive.

I like leaving the grammar check on (it is legitimately useful, though
it is not the ultimate authority), but things like this still bug me.

I wonder how often people restructure perfectly legitimate writing in
order to avoid potential warnings with such grammar checks in word
processing programs?  After all, we've already seen a "Powerpoint
effect" in presentations, where people structure their data so that is
most effective when displayed in Powerpoint (I've even read an
apocryphal story about a college professor who dropped their favorite
book from their literature class, because the themes were too complex to
fit nicely onto Powerpoint slides).

Grr.

...Chambers