POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Fire Power Server Time
5 Sep 2024 17:20:06 EDT (-0400)
  Fire Power (Message 8 to 17 of 27)
<<< Previous 7 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 10 Messages >>>
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: Fire Power
Date: 26 Jul 2009 19:28:42
Message: <4a6ce6aa$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   In certain communities the term is "more dakka".

That's great. I'll have to remember that for my next RPG session.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
    back to version 1.0."

From: Chambers
Date: 27 Jul 2009 00:40:38
Message: <4a6d2fc6$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   There's a persistent urban legend that the recoil of the GAU cannon is
> so strong that firing it for long periods of time would stop the plane.
> While the recoil is indeed impressive, it's not, however, strong enough
> to stop the plane (but it can slow it down significantly).

I'd never heard that one, but isn't that the gun that's fired out the
side of the plane while it banks to compensate for the force?

--
Chambers

Post a reply to this message

Chambers <Ben### [at] gmailcom_no_underscores> wrote:
> Warp wrote:
> >   There's a persistent urban legend that the recoil of the GAU cannon is
> > so strong that firing it for long periods of time would stop the plane.
> > While the recoil is indeed impressive, it's not, however, strong enough
> > to stop the plane (but it can slow it down significantly).
>
> I'd never heard that one, but isn't that the gun that's fired out the
> side of the plane while it banks to compensate for the force?

The gun is off-centre, firing forwards, but I don't know about the banking. I
had heard that they tend to fire in short bursts to minimise adverse recoil
effects. I've also heard Warp's urban legend, although never heard it described
as anything but gospel!

You wouldn't need more than short bursts anyway, the rounds it fires are like
small artillery... :-\

I'd also heard that the plane handles very well for such a heavy aircraft.

Bill

Post a reply to this message

>>   There's a persistent urban legend that the recoil of the GAU cannon is
>> so strong that firing it for long periods of time would stop the plane.
>> While the recoil is indeed impressive, it's not, however, strong enough
>> to stop the plane (but it can slow it down significantly).
>
> I'd never heard that one, but isn't that the gun that's fired out the
> side of the plane while it banks to compensate for the force?

I saw one fired at an air show once, it really is awe inspiring.
I wouldn't want to be Al Qaeda with that after me, no matter
how deep the cave.

Post a reply to this message

Tim Attwood <tim### [at] anti-spamcomcastnet> wrote:
> I saw one fired at an air show once, it really is awe inspiring.
> I wouldn't want to be Al Qaeda with that after me, no matter
> how deep the cave.

  Iraqi troops in both the first and second Gulf Wars described the A-10's
cannon as a laser because of the addition of tracers every 20 rounds.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

On Mon, 27 Jul 2009 06:40:33 +0200, Chambers
<Ben### [at] gmailcom_no_underscores> wrote:
> Warp wrote:
>>   There's a persistent urban legend that the recoil of the GAU cannon is
>> so strong that firing it for long periods of time would stop the plane.
>> While the recoil is indeed impressive, it's not, however, strong enough
>> to stop the plane (but it can slow it down significantly).
>
> I'd never heard that one, but isn't that the gun that's fired out the
> side of the plane while it banks to compensate for the force?

No. The gun is mounted off-centre, but the firing barrel is always along
the centreline of the plane.

--
FE

Post a reply to this message