POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Free Compilers Vista 64? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 01:27:05 EDT (-0400)
  Free Compilers Vista 64? (Message 21 to 23 of 23)
From: JeffBTX
Subject: Re: Free Compilers Vista 64?
Date: 31 May 2009 05:00:00
Message: <web.4a22463d3b64b8036698c4a30@news.povray.org>
I've been asking questions about DF3s in New Users and POV Ray Binary Files ->
images.

On those "invisible voxels", MAYBE it is the POVRay version that is at fault. I
am using:
version 3.6.1.msvc8.win64
.... under Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit.

In POV Ray Binary Files -> images, Alain has something interesting to say about
POVray 3.6.1.

This might mean that any work that I do with DF3's will be suspect and "wacky",
until 3.7 is released. Unless I download and install the beta work-in-progress.
I'm not sure I want to do that.

The main reasons I am interested in DF3s are:
(a) general reasons / purposes
(b) modeling tornadoes (but only in general for artistic reasons... not SPECIFIC
tornadoes, not TECHNICALLY ACCURATE tornadoes).

So it looks like I might change my approach altogether. Maybe use "A Ton of
Media Filled Spheres (procedural media, not DF3)" clustered around tan - and -
brown - SortOfConeShaped Blobs (or something like that).

I'll continue to experiment with DF3s though - its just that under POVRay 3.6.1,
DF3's should apparantly be regarded as inconsistant / experimental / suspect.

Thanks for the work, Darren - it is much appreciated. I will use that utility
(for experiments), it helps a lot. You might want to experiment yourself, again
for some reason bigtest.df3 does NOT render properly.

-Jeff

Post a reply to this message

> For now, I need to be able to build a program(s) that can:

So did this work out for you? If so, I'll post it to p.b.utilities for the
future.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)