POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Who's game to help a vid game novice? Server Time
10 Oct 2024 21:15:27 EDT (-0400)
  Who's game to help a vid game novice? (Message 11 to 20 of 36)
From: Phil Cook
Subject: Re: Who's game to help a vid game novice?
Date: 25 Mar 2008 07:45:21
Message: <op.t8kn3odoc3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Mon, 24 Mar 2008 15:23:16 -0000, Mike the Elder <nomail@nomail>
did spake, saying:

> OK, this is REALLY off topic, but this is one of the very few places
> where I
> might find people who can provide genuinely helpful information on the
> topic,
> which is: Story or puzzle games for the PS2 that are intellectually
> challenging
> (or at least amusing) without being insanely violent or imposing manual
> dexterity requirements on the order of:

I'll second Okami as a story game, it's also gorgeous, and funny.

As you've discovered with DQ (and as you might with the FF series)
although there's a story there I found you do need a lot of monster
bashing to build up your stats to progress without having your arse handed
to you on a platter and as such it can get repetitive. Kingdom Hearts I &
II isn't bad, likewise Shadow Hearts I, II, & III don't feel as grindy as
FF.

Ico and Shadow of the Colossus has been mentioned. I'd opt for Ico - story
plus puzzles; Shadow's a little shallower.

I've just been replaying the cel-shaded Sly Raccoon trilogy. Each
city/area is divided story-wise into sections that in turn contain jobs.
You travel freely over the city as a Master Thief pickpocketing guards (or
bashing them if you chose) locating the few highly valuable items on
display or clues to the main mark's safe combination (first two games
only) then head to a job to start. Complete all those jobs, advance to a
new section of the story and repeat until you've completed the main
mission and can move on to the next city/area. Except for a couple of
timed, rhythm or free-for-all bashing sections you can take it at your own
pace. Some small puzzle aspects, but nothing odious. Cleverly funny at
times.

A blast from the past would be Soul Reaver on the PS1 or more up-to-date
its sequel Soul Reaver 2 on the PS2. Fighting and geographic puzzle solving

The first two Ratchett and Clanks aren't bad if you like fun third-person
shooters with gadgets and gizmos, steer clear of the others on the PS2
though they're just bash-em-ups

Then there's the Silent Hill set if you don't mind horror, difficult
puzzles and an emphasis on running away rather then fighting (except for a
couple of boss battles).

Best option is of course to rent anything you take a fancy to then pick
them up cheap if you like them.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com