POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Northern Illinois University Student Attack Server Time
11 Oct 2024 09:18:19 EDT (-0400)
  Northern Illinois University Student Attack (Message 248 to 257 of 297)
From: Phil Cook
Subject: Re: Northern Illinois University Student Attack
Date: 20 Feb 2008 09:28:38
Message: <op.t6tuhod6c3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Wed, 20 Feb 2008 11:41:43 -0000, Brian Elliott
<NotForSpam@AskIfUWant> did spake, saying:

> "Phil Cook" <phi### [at] nospamrocainfreeservecouk> wrote in message
>> And lo on Wed, 20 Feb 2008 09:29:08 -0000, Stephen <mcavoysATaolDOTcom>
>> did spake, saying:
>>
>> Now I'm just waiting for Andrew to ask who John Steed and Diana Rigg
>> are. Hmm Mrs Peel or Purdey?
>
> Joanna Lumley was good as Purdey, but let's face it:  No one displaces
> the original and very feline Diana Rigg for those slinky fit looks as
> Mrs Peel. Makes me go all tomcat.

Have to agree... so Mrs Peel or Col. Wilma Deering?

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com

Post a reply to this message

From: andrel
Date: 20 Feb 2008 12:34:03
Message: <47BC649E.2000702@hotmail.com>
scott wrote:

>>> What, incase someone breaks into your house and you need to use it? ;-)
>>
>> Most accidental shootings in the home are the result of the weapon being
>> left out loaded and ready to use.
>
> Oh I can believe that - but if the reason of having a gun is to protect
> your home, what good is it if it's locked away unloaded?  You think some
> intruder is going to wait patiently while you get your keys, unlock the
> gun cabinet and load the gun?

That is indeed one of the reasons that US gun laws are frowned upon by
many people outside the US. It does, however, match the idea that in the
US laws are often more intended to make a statement towards potential
voters than to solve a problem.

Post a reply to this message

From: andrel
Date: 20 Feb 2008 12:37:06
Message: <47BC6555.50207@hotmail.com>
Stephen wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 09:18:20 -0000, "Phil Cook"
> <phi### [at] nospamrocainfreeservecouk> wrote:
>
>> And lo on Tue, 19 Feb 2008 21:17:14 -0000, Stephen <mcavoysATaolDOTcom>
>> did spake, saying:

>>> My name is Steed, John Steed :)
>> I'd even buy a bowler if it got me closer to a Diana Rigg look-a-like ;-)
>>
> Who wouldn't?

Anyone who does not particularly fancy 70 year old ladies?

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 20 Feb 2008 12:49:02
Message: <47bc680e$1@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 08:55:11 +0100, scott wrote:

> So anyone who says that they need guns to protect themselves, better arm
> their kids too.

There are some who seriously think teachers should be permitted to carry
guns in schools.

Because, of course, you've never seen a high school student who was
bigger than a teacher...

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 20 Feb 2008 12:49:31
Message: <47bc682b$1@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 08:58:12 +0100, scott wrote:

>>> What, incase someone breaks into your house and you need to use it?
>>> ;-)
>>
>> Most accidental shootings in the home are the result of the weapon
>> being left out loaded and ready to use.
>
> Oh I can believe that - but if the reason of having a gun is to protect
> your home, what good is it if it's locked away unloaded?  You think some
> intruder is going to wait patiently while you get your keys, unlock the
> gun cabinet and load the gun?

Why do you think we don't have one?  I agree it doesn't make sense.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 20 Feb 2008 12:52:39
Message: <47bc68e7$1@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 09:17:21 +0000, Phil Cook wrote:

>>> No of course, but having a safety lock and a child lock; hey why not
>>> just lock it away in a gun cabinet :-P
>>
>> I'm good with that.
>
> Except we're back to why 'you' have the weapon in the first place.

Well, *I* don't, because I'd want it to be stored safely.  I have other
ways of dealing with an intruder - fortunately, where we live, that's not
much of a danger.  Most of the crime around here is car prowls and
vandalism.

>> I've got one like that as well.  The sharp pointy weapon is an antique,
>> but it's still quite sharp.  I wouldn't want to get the blade stained
>> (nor would my wife, as it's hers) if we could possibly avoid it, but it
>> would certainly be effective at close range.
>
> 'Now look what you've done. You've got all that horrible blood on my
> antique' Sorry I just found that a funny thought.

That's OK, we'd probably say something like that, because we're that kind
of people....

>> We have had occasion to "clear" the house using a couple of them,
>> actually - came home and found we'd left the back door unlocked, and
>> *thought* we heard a noise in the basement.  Plenty of doorways to hide
>> behind, and the basement was clear (so all's well that ends well).
>
> Most people here would have called 999, then waited until the next day
> for the police to turn up.

BTDT as well (not for a possible break-in, though) - witnessed a fight
out in front of our gym last week, called the cops - (a) they didn't know
where the liquor store was that I told them about, so I had to drive
around and find a street sign.  There was a cop stationed at the liquor
store, but they sent another car out.  Of course, by the time they said
they'd send a car out, the fight was long over.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 20 Feb 2008 12:52:56
Message: <47bc68f8@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 09:18:20 +0000, Phil Cook wrote:

> And lo on Tue, 19 Feb 2008 21:17:14 -0000, Stephen <mcavoysATaolDOTcom>
> did spake, saying:
>
>> On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 16:59:29 -0000, "Phil Cook"
>> <phi### [at] nospamrocainfreeservecouk> wrote:
>>

>>> I've an umbrella... which sounds kind of dumb until I demonstrate its
>>> four-foot reach and 3-inch blunted spike on the end :-)
>>
>> My name is Steed, John Steed :)
>
> I'd even buy a bowler if it got me closer to a Diana Rigg look-a-like
> ;-)

LOL!

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Sabrina Kilian
Date: 20 Feb 2008 13:38:54
Message: <47bc73be$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>> As for why they don't turn the situation into a movie scene, I think the
>> reason they get a CC permit explains that.
>
> Do they have to give some reason when they apply for a CC permit then?
> What reason do they give?

In Virginia, I think they do. In more strict states, the only reason you
get a CC permit is if you have a reason that some bureaucrat thinks is
'good enough'. I don't think "To show them all, mwahaha!" would get a
permit here, but leaving it blank or "For safety" might. From another
angle, how many people who really just want to shoot someone are going
to walk into a police department and give both their fingerprints and
permission to examine their life for any sign of violence?

People who might get a permit in a stricter state:
High profile executives and their body guards (kidnapping threats
apparently still happen)
People have been assaulted or have a restraining order against someone
violent (don't date violent repeat felons, that's the first hint)
Single woman living alone in bad neighborhood

Alternatively, the state of Vermont allows anyone to carry a concealed
weapon. I can't recall hearing about any shootings there.

Post a reply to this message

From: Phil Cook
Date: 21 Feb 2008 04:10:57
Message: <op.t6vagj2ec3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Wed, 20 Feb 2008 17:37:25 -0000, andrel
<a_l### [at] hotmailcom> did spake, saying:

> Stephen wrote:
>> On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 09:18:20 -0000, "Phil Cook"
>> <phi### [at] nospamrocainfreeservecouk> wrote:
>>
>>> And lo on Tue, 19 Feb 2008 21:17:14 -0000, Stephen
>>> <mcavoysATaolDOTcom>  did spake, saying:

>>> I'd even buy a bowler if it got me closer to a Diana Rigg look-a-like
>>> ;-)
>>>
>> Who wouldn't?
>>
> Anyone who does not particularly fancy 70 year old ladies?

I thought everyone knew that all Bowler hats were equipped with personal
time machines?

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com

Post a reply to this message

From: Phil Cook
Date: 21 Feb 2008 04:28:37
Message: <op.t6va9z00c3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Wed, 20 Feb 2008 17:52:39 -0000, Jim Henderson
<nos### [at] nospamcom> did spake, saying:

>>> I'm good with that.
>>
>> Except we're back to why 'you' have the weapon in the first place.
>
> Well, *I* don't, because I'd want it to be stored safely.

Our language really needs to (re)introduce some terms for "you" -
singular, personal; plural personal; plural imnpersonal i.e. you go and
help him; you, that group there, go and help him; you as a country should
help him.

>  I have other
> ways of dealing with an intruder - fortunately, where we live, that's not
> much of a danger.  Most of the crime around here is car prowls and
> vandalism.

We've had some break-ins locally, a bit of vandalism, some stabbings in
town; the usual kind of thing.

>>> I've got one like that as well.  The sharp pointy weapon is an antique,
>>> but it's still quite sharp.  I wouldn't want to get the blade stained
>>> (nor would my wife, as it's hers) if we could possibly avoid it, but it
>>> would certainly be effective at close range.
>>
>> 'Now look what you've done. You've got all that horrible blood on my
>> antique' Sorry I just found that a funny thought.
>
> That's OK, we'd probably say something like that, because we're that kind
> of people....

Now was that "we" plural personal or plural impersonal? :-)

>>> We have had occasion to "clear" the house using a couple of them,
>>> actually - came home and found we'd left the back door unlocked, and
>>> *thought* we heard a noise in the basement.  Plenty of doorways to hide
>>> behind, and the basement was clear (so all's well that ends well).
>>
>> Most people here would have called 999, then waited until the next day
>> for the police to turn up.
>
> BTDT as well (not for a possible break-in, though) - witnessed a fight
> out in front of our gym last week, called the cops - (a) they didn't know
> where the liquor store was that I told them about, so I had to drive
> around and find a street sign.  There was a cop stationed at the liquor
> store, but they sent another car out.  Of course, by the time they said
> they'd send a car out, the fight was long over.

Similar problems when the police aren't local. Damn I'd thought I'd
uploaded a picture to Flickr of our local police station's opening times;
I can't find it now.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com