POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Northern Illinois University Student Attack : Re: Northern Illinois University Student Attack Server Time
11 Oct 2024 11:09:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Northern Illinois University Student Attack
From: Sabrina Kilian
Date: 20 Feb 2008 13:38:54
Message: <47bc73be$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>> As for why they don't turn the situation into a movie scene, I think the
>> reason they get a CC permit explains that.
>
> Do they have to give some reason when they apply for a CC permit then?
> What reason do they give?

In Virginia, I think they do. In more strict states, the only reason you
get a CC permit is if you have a reason that some bureaucrat thinks is
'good enough'. I don't think "To show them all, mwahaha!" would get a
permit here, but leaving it blank or "For safety" might. From another
angle, how many people who really just want to shoot someone are going
to walk into a police department and give both their fingerprints and
permission to examine their life for any sign of violence?

People who might get a permit in a stricter state:
High profile executives and their body guards (kidnapping threats
apparently still happen)
People have been assaulted or have a restraining order against someone
violent (don't date violent repeat felons, that's the first hint)
Single woman living alone in bad neighborhood

Alternatively, the state of Vermont allows anyone to carry a concealed
weapon. I can't recall hearing about any shootings there.