POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Quick: name seven gases in your house! Server Time
11 Oct 2024 05:21:05 EDT (-0400)
  Quick: name seven gases in your house! (Message 42 to 51 of 51)
From: Stephen
Subject: Re: Quick: name seven gases in your house!
Date: 12 Jan 2008 16:32:30
Message: <eccio3h60k1hggdkdcrn1lcqgm99ifa8nm@4ax.com>
On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 13:44:22 -0500, Alain <ele### [at] netscapenet> wrote:

>Radon is radioactive. But, as it's a "noble" gas, it's non-reactive and thus
>can't be toxic. To be toxic, a substance need to be able to easily react with
>other substances.
>As radon is radioactive, it cause some ionisation in other substances. That
>ionisation can denaturate some substances. But radon's radioactivity is very
>weak. You need a lot of it over several years for it to become a problem. Any
>basement where you go more than 4 times a year will have to much air movement to
>be able to get a critical radon concentration. Also, the floor need to be
>permeable, while the walls and ceiling need to be prety air tight.

Is that a personal opinion, Alain? I take it you don't live in a granite area or
worry about lung cancer?
And my definition of toxic has nothing to do with reacting with other substances
but with how much harm it can cause. So water can be toxic if enough is ingested
and we all know that oxygen can be toxic.

Regards
	Stephen

Post a reply to this message

> Is that a personal opinion, Alain? I take it you don't live in a granite area or
> worry about lung cancer?
> And my definition of toxic has nothing to do with reacting with other substances
> but with how much harm it can cause. So water can be toxic if enough is ingested
> and we all know that oxygen can be toxic.

Sorry for interfering in. But after reading your interesting discussion I had to
say this.
--dosis facit venenum--
(don't want to sound bragging)

bluetree