POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Different Type of Puzzle Server Time
11 Oct 2024 07:11:41 EDT (-0400)
  Different Type of Puzzle (Message 11 to 20 of 24)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 4 Messages >>>
From: Mike the Elder
Subject: Re: Different Type of Puzzle
Date: 2 Jan 2008 12:20:00
Message: <web.477bc75a7a926424e2b2e7080@news.povray.org>
"Xavier Manget" <NOS### [at] freefr> wrote:

> j7gnn3lcto9fadeqcdbhk0iq3qlodkt5nm@4ax.com...
> > Tuesday is the name of his ride?
> >

> Yep, and it's travelling at the speed of light too! ;-)
>
> Xavier

No, the "fiery horse with the speed of light" is Silver.  ;-)

Hi ho,
Mike C.

Post a reply to this message

From: Xavier Manget
Date: 2 Jan 2008 12:33:00
Message: <477bcacc$1@news.povray.org>

news: web.477bc75a7a926424e2b2e7080@news.povray.org...
> "Xavier Manget" <NOS### [at] freefr> wrote:

>> j7gnn3lcto9fadeqcdbhk0iq3qlodkt5nm@4ax.com...
>> > Tuesday is the name of his ride?
>> >

>> Yep, and it's travelling at the speed of light too! ;-)
>>
>> Xavier
>
> No, the "fiery horse with the speed of light" is Silver.  ;-)
>
> Hi ho,
> Mike C.

Didn't know this one, I just had to search on the net... (I think "The lone
ranger" was never translated and introduced in France)

Hi ho! :-)

Xavier

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 2 Jan 2008 12:57:47
Message: <p0knn3d1no40d4rpiabvp33ms4q49gf0s3@4ax.com>
On Wed,  2 Jan 2008 12:18:18 EST, "Mike the Elder" <zer### [at] wyanorg>
wrote:

>"Xavier Manget" <NOS### [at] freefr> wrote:

>> j7gnn3lcto9fadeqcdbhk0iq3qlodkt5nm@4ax.com...
>> > Tuesday is the name of his ride?
>> >

>> Yep, and it's travelling at the speed of light too! ;-)
>>
>> Xavier
>
>No, the "fiery horse with the speed of light" is Silver.  ;-)
>
>Hi ho,
>Mike C.

And here's me thinking it was called BINKY.

HI HO

Regards
	Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 2 Jan 2008 16:01:59
Message: <477bfbc7@news.povray.org>
Mike the Elder <zer### [at] wyanorg> wrote:
> A cowboy rides into Dodge on Tuesday.  He remains in Dodge for exactly three
> days, nine hours and fourteen minutes.  He then rides out of town on Tuesday.
> How is this possible?

  I hope this is not just a trick question related to the word "ride"
(vs. walking or something else which he could do instead of riding).

  I also hope it's not a trick question which relies on some possible
double meaning of the words "Dodge" or "Tuesday" which are culture
dependant.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 2 Jan 2008 16:03:40
Message: <477bfc2b@news.povray.org>
Mike the Elder <zer### [at] wyanorg> wrote:
> Yes.  I like this puzzle because I've seen bright eight-year-olds (and older
> folks) figure it out in moments and have also seen administrators who can only
> think in terms of complex rule-oriented solutions struggle for hours and
> declare that there is no solution.  Like most good puzzles, it's an object
> lesson in the value of learning to view problems from more than one
> perspective.

  IMO it's not a puzzle, it's a trick question. A puzzle would involve
solving some logic behind the problem.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 2 Jan 2008 16:11:27
Message: <bfvnn31827f7j6dr8il7606vvuauo2nrgn@4ax.com>
On 2 Jan 2008 16:01:59 -0500, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:

>  I also hope it's not a trick question which relies on some possible
>double meaning of the words "Dodge" or "Tuesday" which are culture
>dependant.

Dodge City is well known to generations of Americans and US TV watchers, as the
long-running old-time radio and television Western drama program Gunsmoke was
set in Dodge City.

Tuesday on the other hand is the day of the week named after the Nordic god Tyr,
who was the equivalent of the Roman war god Mars. It has also been used as a
girl's name.

I hope this helps.

Regards
	Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: andrel
Date: 2 Jan 2008 17:39:29
Message: <477C12AB.8000300@hotmail.com>
Stephen wrote:
> On 2 Jan 2008 16:01:59 -0500, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
>
>>  I also hope it's not a trick question which relies on some possible
>> double meaning of the words "Dodge" or "Tuesday" which are culture
>> dependant.
>
> Dodge City is well known to generations of Americans and US TV watchers, as the
> long-running old-time radio and television Western drama program Gunsmoke was
> set in Dodge City.
>
> Tuesday on the other hand is the day of the week named after the Nordic god Tyr,
> who was the equivalent of the Roman war god Mars. It has also been used as a
> girl's name.

hmm, I hope you are not suggesting he was riding on a girl (e.g. in the
backseat of a car) while moving into and out of town.

Post a reply to this message

From: John VanSickle
Date: 2 Jan 2008 20:51:27
Message: <477c3f9f$1@news.povray.org>
Mike the Elder wrote:
> I've always liked this one:
>
> A cowboy rides into Dodge on Tuesday.  He remains in Dodge for exactly three
> days, nine hours and fourteen minutes.  He then rides out of town on Tuesday.
> How is this possible?
>
> (If you've heard it, please wait a bit to give the solvers/guessers a chance.)

The horse is named Tuesday.

Regards,
John

Post a reply to this message

From: Alain
Date: 2 Jan 2008 21:25:49
Message: <477c47ad@news.povray.org>
Stephen nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2008/01/02 16:11:
> On 2 Jan 2008 16:01:59 -0500, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
>
>>  I also hope it's not a trick question which relies on some possible
>> double meaning of the words "Dodge" or "Tuesday" which are culture
>> dependant.
>
> Dodge City is well known to generations of Americans and US TV watchers, as the
> long-running old-time radio and television Western drama program Gunsmoke was
> set in Dodge City.
>
> Tuesday on the other hand is the day of the week named after the Nordic god Tyr,
> who was the equivalent of the Roman war god Mars. It has also been used as a
> girl's name.
>
> I hope this helps.
>
> Regards
> 	Stephen
In french, Tuesday is Mardi. Much closer to Mars.

--
Alain
  My bologna has a first name.

                    Oscar Mayer

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 3 Jan 2008 03:33:40
Message: <te7pn3huphpniqh4pms9046gh558d4ut4g@4ax.com>
On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 21:25:43 -0500, Alain <ele### [at] netscapenet> wrote:

>In french, Tuesday is Mardi. Much closer to Mars.

Ah! You know Fat Tuesday then. She is a corker! :)

Regards
	Stephen

Post a reply to this message

<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 4 Messages >>>