POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : IT rant Server Time
11 Oct 2024 09:19:20 EDT (-0400)
  IT rant (Message 1 to 10 of 10)
From: Tim Cook
Subject: IT rant
Date: 31 Oct 2007 07:18:13
Message: <47287285$1@news.povray.org>
Ok, so I just read (skimmed, really), Stephen King's "IT".

Let me get this straight...neurotic little kids with
abuse/bullying/guilt issues (and the people who are the causes of those
issues) lark about in Generic Americana (as seen through the rose-tinted
glasses of imagination-warped perception), get lost in the sewers during
a bad storm, fulfill their burgeoning sexual impulses via little girl's
own unconscious way of dealing with her issues/exerting an apparent
'control' over her situation, experience a bit of selective amnesia,
then come back a few decades later to do the whole thing over again as
adults whereby they can properly come to terms with things.  Seems
straightforward enough.

But wait!  It's by Stephen King, so it has to have a supernatural
bogeyman -- that happens to be an embodiment of the cause of the kids'
issues, thereby giving them something that they can fight against (since
there isn't any way to gain closure when faced with the *real* causes,
as those are all either dead or have too much thrall over them).  That's
right, blame the town itself, not the individual inhabitants who've
ruined your life.  A little bit of imagination and everybody gets to
look the other way, with a convenient scapegoat to destroy.

If you really want to drive home the point that that's all the closure
some people ever get, you could just have them NOT WIN, thereby
illustrating that there are still the bogeymen out there even when you
think confronted your own monsters.

--
Tim Cook
http://home.bellsouth.net/p/PWP-empyrean