POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : IT rant : Re: IT rant Server Time
11 Oct 2024 07:15:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: IT rant
From: Phil Cook
Date: 2 Nov 2007 06:01:11
Message: <op.t05vh1zsc3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Wed, 31 Oct 2007 12:18:11 -0000, Tim Cook
<z99### [at] bellsouthnet> did spake, saying:

> Ok, so I just read (skimmed, really), Stephen King's "IT".
>
> But wait!  It's by Stephen King, so it has to have a supernatural
> bogeyman -- that happens to be an embodiment of the cause of the kids'
> issues, thereby giving them something that they can fight against (since
> there isn't any way to gain closure when faced with the *real* causes,
> as those are all either dead or have too much thrall over them).  That's
> right, blame the town itself, not the individual inhabitants who've
> ruined your life.  A little bit of imagination and everybody gets to
> look the other way, with a convenient scapegoat to destroy.

Although you can go deeper and ask if the inhabitants were evil because of
IT or stayed in IT's town because they were naturally evil (or were
inclined towards it). If they didn't like what they saw around them they
always had the option of leaving; which the majority of the protagonists
did.

I must admit I gave up of Stephen King some time ago, although I finished
the Childe Roland set (and what a whimper that ended on) the last real one
I read was Insomnia. I had already started getting restless around Needful
Things it became Stephen King emulating Stephen King, then in Insomnia I
would swear that entire passages and dialogue had been lifted straight out
of his previous works so I gave up on him.

His short stories are better, they tend to curb his inclination to drone
on.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com