POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Blogger fined for 'menacing' rant Server Time
7 Sep 2024 17:12:16 EDT (-0400)
  Blogger fined for 'menacing' rant (Message 11 to 20 of 31)
From: Phil Cook
Subject: Re: Blogger fined for 'menacing' rant
Date: 30 Apr 2008 11:23:02
Message: <op.uafjkwuqc3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Wed, 30 Apr 2008 00:09:11 +0100, Stephen <mcavoysAT@aolDOTcom>
did spake, saying:

> I thought this was interesting
>
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/north_east/7373639.stm

Hmm "prosecuted under the Telecommunications Act, relating to the sending
of an electronic message." Presumably section 43- Improper use of public
telecommunication system.

I wonder if this is the first time it's been applied in such an instance,
fascinating... it can't be assault as it's not immediate, but they've
classed it as "menacing" and thus used a law put into place to stop
malicious calls, text/mobile bullying etc. Now if he'd sent an IM or SMS
to the officer in question then hell yeah, likewise if he'd posted
something a clear threat such as 'I'll give him something to worry about
with his new baby'; I suppose adding in the officer's name wasn't the
brightest of moves, but still this smells a bit.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com

Post a reply to this message