POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Cellphone ray-tracing? Server Time
4 Sep 2024 13:22:36 EDT (-0400)
  Cellphone ray-tracing? (Message 21 to 30 of 31)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 1 Messages >>>
From: Nekar Xenos
Subject: Re: Cellphone ray-tracing?
Date: 20 Apr 2010 08:50:49
Message: <op.vbgom1dsufxv4h@go-dynamite>
On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 14:43:16 +0200, Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:

>>> 1. Because it will take approximately 250 years to render anything.
>>    The iPhone 3GS has a 800+ MHz CPU, so it's not exactly slow.
>
> I thought we were talking about the 400 MHz Nokia thing? Well anyway,
> whatever.

Sorry, I forgot to mention it's an LG (KS360)  :P

>>> 2. Because you'd need to be able to type things.
>>    Strictly speaking, you can, even if it's a bit slower than on a
>> full-sized
>> PC keyboard.

Mine has a qwerty keyboard, I'll never use anything else - I hate that
double-triple clicking. (I even disabled double-click on my PC)

> In my limited experience, quite a lot slower. (Mind you, that was partly
> due to the predictive text that couldn't be disabled...)
>
>>   But you could just put .pov files on the iPhone (or download them from
>> the net) and render them.
>
> True, but why render something that somebody else has already rendered?
> It would seem that you'd want to make something new yourself...
>
>>> 3. Because the screen only has a resolution of 120x80 anyway.
>>    480x320 on the iPhone, actually. But POV-Ray has never been limited
>> to the
>> screen resolution.
>
> I meant more that at such low resolutions there wouldn't be much *point*
> to it, that's all. ;-)

Backgrounds for you cell-phone ;)

-Nekar Xenos-

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 20 Apr 2010 10:17:59
Message: <4bcdb797$1@news.povray.org>
Am 20.04.2010 14:07, schrieb Invisible:

>> Since you can compile C++ code for the iPhone, I wonder if POV-Ray could
>> be compiled for it with some tweaking...
>
> Depends whether libpng and all the other dependencies can be compiled
> too, I would imagine.

If all else fails, there's still the option to turn off PNG, JPEG and
TIFF support (just like is done with OpenEXR when the libs are not
there), and render e.g. to Radiance HDR.

(Though from a formal point of view I think it would be a violation of
the POV-Ray license to distribute such a custom build, so one would have
to wait until POV-Ray goes GPL.)

> The question is "would you want to?"

Why not? At least as soon as POV-Ray can do networked rendering, it
might be an interesting option to include the cell phone in the private
server farm via BT or USB. That would also allow to trim down the cell
phone version to the bare back-end.

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 20 Apr 2010 10:18:25
Message: <4bcdb7b1$1@news.povray.org>
Am 20.04.2010 14:12, schrieb Nekar Xenos:

> If I'm not by my PC and I have my phone with me, why not? Even trying
> new variations on the RSOCP can be fun when you're bored ;)

Well spoken ;-)

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 20 Apr 2010 11:28:05
Message: <4bcdc805$1@news.povray.org>
Nekar Xenos wrote:
>  and  ... you can overclock it!

I'm guessing the CPU itself is not the bottleneck as much as it is the
standby time from the battery. :-)  People don't run chips faster than they
need to to make a battery-driven device work.

Indeed, they usually have different parts of the chip turning on and off
hundreds or thousands of times a second to save power.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)

From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 20 Apr 2010 23:02:53
Message: <4bce6add$1@news.povray.org>
Nekar Xenos wrote:
> I recently found out that my LG KS360 supposedly has a 400MHz proccessor.
> IIRC I used to run Pov-Ray 3.1 on a 333Mhz machine in 1997. My cellphone
> is a lot slower than the 33MHz Celeron I had to work on back then, so I
> guess the culprit is RAM. Which brings me to the question: Do Cell-phones
> have RAM? If so, how can I tell how much?
>
> Would it be possible to make a simple .jar ray-tracer to run on a
> cell-phone?

I tried porting POV-Ray to the iPhone, but had troubles with C++ exceptions,
and lack of a debugger to figure out those troubles. But that was in 1.x
times, when official dev tools didn't even exist. I should try again on a
newer firmware some day...

Post a reply to this message

From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 20 Apr 2010 23:10:30
Message: <4bce6ca6$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> Nekar Xenos <nek### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>> Would it be possible to make a simple .jar ray-tracer to run on a
>> cell-phone?
>
>   Since you can compile C++ code for the iPhone, I wonder if POV-Ray could
> be compiled for it with some tweaking...

Heh, replied too soon, saw this post too late...

I tried and failed. But it was an old firmware and an old compiler, so it
might work if I try again...

http://news.povray.org/*/thread/47c58595@news.povray.org/

Post a reply to this message

From: scott
Date: 21 Apr 2010 02:44:55
Message: <4bce9ee7$1@news.povray.org>
>> Different architecture completely.  How do you mean your phone is "a lot
>> slower"?
>>
> It take ages to show the thumbnails of the images on my memory card...

Maybe it doesn't have an FPU?  Or as Darren said, the main goal is to use as
little power as possible, not as fast as possible.  There are lots of
optimisations they could have made to reduce the overall power needed at the
expense of speed.

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 21 Apr 2010 11:33:21
Message: <4bcf1ac1$1@news.povray.org>
Nekar Xenos wrote:
> It take ages to show the thumbnails of the images on my memory card...

Some memory cards, especially the microSD cards, are exceedingly slow to
transfer data. They're designed to hold phone books, not images, and even
then often take a minute or two to copy your phone book off the flash card
and into battery memory when you turn the phone on.

Check the specs on the card. You might find it's only 3K/second transfer rate.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)

From: Nekar Xenos
Date: 21 Apr 2010 14:35:53
Message: <op.vbiy95alufxv4h@xena>
On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 08:44:54 +0200, scott <sco### [at] scottcom> wrote:

>>> Different architecture completely.  How do you mean your phone is "a
>>> lot slower"?
>>>
>> It take ages to show the thumbnails of the images on my memory card...
>
> Maybe it doesn't have an FPU?  Or as Darren said, the main goal is to
> use as little power as possible, not as fast as possible.  There are
> lots of optimisations they could have made to reduce the overall power
> needed at the expense of speed.

maybe both...

--
-Nekar Xenos-

"The spoon is not real"

Post a reply to this message

From: jhu
Date: 2 May 2010 02:55:01
Message: <web.4bdd20c36ae6901d5da9c9f20@news.povray.org>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:

> > > If I'm not by my PC and I have my phone with me, why not?
>
> > 1. Because it will take approximately 250 years to render anything.
>
>   The iPhone 3GS has a 800+ MHz CPU, so it's not exactly slow.

It's an ARM processor running at 600 MHz. It's much slower than a 600 MHz
Celeron.

Post a reply to this message

<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 1 Messages >>>