POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Cellphone ray-tracing? : Re: Cellphone ray-tracing? Server Time
4 Sep 2024 13:20:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Cellphone ray-tracing?
From: clipka
Date: 20 Apr 2010 10:17:59
Message: <4bcdb797$1@news.povray.org>
Am 20.04.2010 14:07, schrieb Invisible:

>> Since you can compile C++ code for the iPhone, I wonder if POV-Ray could
>> be compiled for it with some tweaking...
>
> Depends whether libpng and all the other dependencies can be compiled
> too, I would imagine.

If all else fails, there's still the option to turn off PNG, JPEG and
TIFF support (just like is done with OpenEXR when the libs are not
there), and render e.g. to Radiance HDR.

(Though from a formal point of view I think it would be a violation of
the POV-Ray license to distribute such a custom build, so one would have
to wait until POV-Ray goes GPL.)

> The question is "would you want to?"

Why not? At least as soon as POV-Ray can do networked rendering, it
might be an interesting option to include the cell phone in the private
server farm via BT or USB. That would also allow to trim down the cell
phone version to the bare back-end.