POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Getting Kenned Ham, without paying. Server Time
11 Oct 2024 21:17:31 EDT (-0400)
  Getting Kenned Ham, without paying. (Message 71 to 80 of 588)
From: Patrick Elliott
Subject: Re: Getting Kenned Ham, without paying.
Date: 16 Nov 2007 23:06:16
Message: <MPG.21a8164ff7bb1f4f98a079@news.povray.org>
In article <473df6c9@news.povray.org>, war### [at] tagpovrayorg says...
> > Hence, the
> > mocking obviously had some use here, getting some of the more religious

> > people trying to defend their beliefs in some small way.
>
>   I haven't seen any defending of religious views in this thread. Perhaps
> I missed it.

And maybe they "agree" with us, and that they don't feel they "need" to
defend themselves against an attack that they recognize is not against
them, but only against a subset of self proclaimed Christians that
**they** dislike too? Nah, that can't be it.

--
void main () {

    call functional_code()
  else
    call crash_windows();
}

From: Charles C
Date: 16 Nov 2007 23:19:45
Message: <473e6be1@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott wrote:
> In article <473e5a14@news.povray.org>, Charles C <"nospam a nospam.com">
> says...
>> The claim by the defendants in the case (the school board) was that
>> intelligent design is not religious and it is not creationism.  The
>> plaintiffs got very lucking in finding one very interesting piece of
>> evidence:  the 'missing link between creationism and intelligent
>> design', namely the word "cintelligent designism" (or something like
>> that). There was a 1980's paper which had been updated to replace all
>> instances of "creationism" to "intelligent design" after a different
>> court case, but had not been edited very carefully.  There was a strong
>> connection between this paper and an intelligent-design textbook donated
>> to the Dover school district, which made it more difficult for the
>> plaintiffs to insist that there was no religious intent involved.
>>
> Umm. No, it wasn't a paper, it was a book called "Of Pandas and People"
> and they where **trying** to get it used as a science text in the
> schools. Only, when they couldn't get it in on the grounds of its

OK, you're right.  I know the textbook was "Of Pandas and People" but I
had been thinking that the textbook was borrowing language from another
originally-creationist paper.  That paper, you're right, is none other
than an early draft of "Pandas" as subpoena'ed by the plaintiffs' side
of the case.

> religious content, they edited it, removing all references to
> "creation" with "intelligent design", then tried again. In the original
> court case I am not sure they found the "cintelligent designism" part,
> but they *did* find an earlier copy of the book that differed in content
> *only* by the replacement of one word with its new alternate. Umm. Also
> not sure you got it right. The latest joke posts about, "proof of the
> evolution of creation", claim that the resulting word was, "cdesign
> proponentsists", and there has been some discussion of using that as the
> "name" for people from the Discovery Institute and others that support
> ID.

You are correct again.  That's why I put a disclaimer in parenthesis "or
something like that".

Charles

Post a reply to this message

From: andrel
Date: 17 Nov 2007 06:04:16
Message: <473ECBBD.3040801@hotmail.com>
Patrick Elliott wrote:
> In article <473dde89$1@news.povray.org>,
> gal### [at] libertyALLsurfSPAMfr says...

>>>   Take any unsolved question in science, which science has yet not an
>>> answer to, and present the theory "it happens because invisible gnomes
>>> do it from inside the Earth". Even if the scientist doesn't have any
>>> alternative theory to that, it's still completely valid for him to doubt
>>> that presented theory.
>>>
>> The doubt in this case is for a completely valid reason. A key point
>> with any scientific theory is that you have to be able to challenge it.
>> Your little gnomes are hard to test for empirically...
>>
>> So the scientist still does not have a scientific theory, in that case.
>>
> Yeah. The first problem seems to be that ID people think *theory* means
> "guess". It doesn't.
More precisely they think that 'theory' in a scientific context means
the same 'theory' as used in everyday practice. Possibly even more
precise, they think that 'theory' means what they choose it to mean,
neither more nor less.

Post a reply to this message

From: andrel
Date: 17 Nov 2007 15:18:33
Message: <473F4DA6.9020407@hotmail.com>
Warp wrote:
>> You were talking about evolution, to start with, tho. We know there are
>> theories that aren't complete. We know there are unanswered questions in
>> every scientific theory. But most stuff tends to be refinements of what
>> we already know in realms we couldn't measure before. Even quantum and
>> relativity didn't overthrow newtonian physics - we still use that to
>> shoot space probes.
>
>   The problem is that while most knowledgeable people are not claiming
> that the theory of relativity is the absolute truth, many are nevertheless
> saying that the theory of evolution is the absolute truth. Granted, in
> many cases it's the laymen who know little about the actual physics who
> throw claims like "the theory of evolution has been proven to be true",
> especially in heated discussions against creationists, but you can see
> claims along those lines from more knowledgeable people too.
>
>   For example Phil Plait is a professional astronomer, and you can
> constantly find that kind of attitude in his blog. He doesn't believe
> that evolution is true, he *knows* that evolution is true. It's a fact.
> When reading his blog on this subject it quickly becomes clear that to
> him evolution is exactly the same type of fact as gravity or the existence
> of the Sun. It's quite clear that to him it's not a theory at all, but a
> proven law of nature.
>
>   It's this kind of "I know" attitude that bothers me.

What bothers me is that there are people out there that still claim that
"the theory of evolution has *not* proven to be true". It does of course
depends very much on what the person making this claim thinks the theory
is about. And there are of course interpretations thinkable that have
certain aspects in it that are not proven yet or are proven wrong.
However, it sends the wrong message to the less educated people i.e.
that every aspect of evolution is under debate. For instance there is
the basic concept that if you have a reproducing system that in the
copying process can make mistakes then inevitably this system is going
to change over time. This is not debated and has indeed a status like a
law of nature even outside biology. What might be debatable is what
primate was or wasn't an ancestor of man. Then again that man is mammal,
more specific a monkey, more specific an ape, that is not debated.
As you know I am doing research on heart diseases and the development of
the heart. To understand what goes on we also use animal models. Denying
that man is part of the evolutionary tree of life would make any
understanding derived from observations on the development of the chick
embryo useless. In fact, I think you'll be amazed how much of current
biological and medical research would become meaningless if you don't
believe in macro-evolution. I know there are doctors in this world that
would claim that they "don't believe in evolution". Let's hope they
never find out how their medical knowledge was acquired in the first place.

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 17 Nov 2007 17:27:21
Message: <473f6ac8@news.povray.org>
andrel <a_l### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> Denying
> that man is part of the evolutionary tree of life would make any
> understanding derived from observations on the development of the chick
> embryo useless.

  That just doesn't make any sense. You don't have to accept the entire
evolution theory as true in order to accept the similarities between the
hearts and take advantage of that.

  "See, the hearts are similar, and you admit it, so consequently you
must admit that the entire theory of evolution is true" is not valid
reasoning. Neither is "you don't believe the evolution theory is true,
thus you can't take advantage of similarities between animal and human
physiology."

> In fact, I think you'll be amazed how much of current
> biological and medical research would become meaningless if you don't
> believe in macro-evolution.

  I would be amazed indeed. I don't understand the relation between
believing in macro-evolution and being able to take advantage of similarities
in the physiology of different species.

  Similar physiology between animals and humans doesn't prove evolution.
It only proves that there's similar physiology between animals and humans.
(*Evidence* is different from *proof*.)

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: andrel
Date: 17 Nov 2007 18:14:58
Message: <473F7700.9040403@hotmail.com>
Warp wrote:
> andrel <a_l### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
>> Denying
>> that man is part of the evolutionary tree of life would make any
>> understanding derived from observations on the development of the chick
>> embryo useless.
>
>   That just doesn't make any sense. You don't have to accept the entire
> evolution theory as true in order to accept the similarities between the
> hearts and take advantage of that.

Tell me, what part of what is in your perception "the entire evolution
theory" can you reject and still place human and chick in the same tree?

 From reading this thread and others before this, I know that you have a
rather different idea of what evolution theory comprises than what is
common in my surroundings. I really like to understand your point of view.

>   "See, the hearts are similar, and you admit it, so consequently you
> must admit that the entire theory of evolution is true" is not valid
> reasoning. Neither is "you don't believe the evolution theory is true,
> thus you can't take advantage of similarities between animal and human
> physiology."
If we are studying the role of, say, TBX3 *)  in the development of the
mouse heart what does that say about humans? If we assume that both
mouse and human derive from a common ancestor we may have similar
concluded from it. True, they may *look* similar, but that is possibly
totally accidental. Even the fact that changes in comparable genes in
both species lead to the same disorders may still be just coincidence.

>> In fact, I think you'll be amazed how much of current
>> biological and medical research would become meaningless if you don't
>> believe in macro-evolution.
>
>   I would be amazed indeed. I don't understand the relation between
> believing in macro-evolution and being able to take advantage of similarities
> in the physiology of different species.
>
>   Similar physiology between animals and humans doesn't prove evolution.
> It only proves that there's similar physiology between animals and humans.
> (*Evidence* is different from *proof*.)

The physiology is so mind boggling similar that the only explanation is
a common descent. You can not *disprove* that at some point in time both
species were independently created. But why would the creator copy
everything from one design to another, including all the bugs, patches
and obsolete code? Again, there is no way to disprove such a lack of
creativity, but why would you replace a perfectly acceptable explanation
by a rabbit out of a hat?

*) a gene that is a.o. responsible for modifying the expression of
various other genes so that the cell develops into an atrial or a
ventricular type of muscle cell. In other organs may do completely
different things.

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 17 Nov 2007 18:40:59
Message: <473f7c0b$1@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott wrote:
> In article <473dd775@news.povray.org>, war### [at] tagpovrayorg says...
>> Phil Cook <phi### [at] nospamrocainfreeservecouk> wrote:
>>> No not really, feel free to doubt it. if you do then you must have a
>>> reason to do so, which implies you have another theory
>>   Once again, that is completely flawed logic.
>>
>>   There's no law in science which says that you must have an alternative
>> theory in order to reasonably doubt an existing theory.
>>
> Quite true. He got that much wrong.

Well, he was right in the sense that if you doubt the theory is true
without any reason to do so, then you're behaving irrationally. Not
necessarily a bad thing, but not exactly scientific.

> If they stopped with, "I don't know, lets find an answer.", no one would
> have a problem with them, at least with respect to their position on
> science.

I think if they asserted their views and actually had a willingness to
change their mind based on reality, people wouldn't ridicule nearly as
much. It isn't the creationism being ridiculed. It's the pigheaded
refusal to evaluate whether it might be wrong, even in the middle of a
scientific debate.

I honestly think creationists would get far less ridicule if they just
said "our opinions differ, and I can't convince you, and you can't
convince me, so let's just each do our own thing." But they often try to
argue you into believing it for some reason.

> Imho, if it wasn't given absurd levels of respect,

Only some of it. Try taking off every thursday from work on the grounds
that you need to go worship Thor, and see how much slack you get from
your boss.

And apparently Australia now has more write-in Jedi Knights on the
census than many of the other religions. Yet, oddly enough, Australia is
reluctant to recognise it as an official religion. Wonder why....

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     Remember the good old days, when we

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 17 Nov 2007 21:41:21
Message: <473fa651$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   The sub-thread I started was related to the mocking of other people
> because of their beliefs, not to whether creationists are right or wrong.

Actually, looking back, nobody was much mocking Ken Ham. The original
author mocked the museum, and creationism, even while admiring the
execution of the concept.

While mocking people is indeed rude (even tho I don't rule it out), how
do you feel about mocking ideas?

>   I have never said that's my opinion. The only thing I have said is
> that someone having that opinion is not reason enough to ridicule him.

As I said, it's not just having the opinion, but rather having the
opinion, trying to convince other people you're "scientifically"
correct, yet not actually doing any science. Basically, the blatant
hypocrisy, and the attempts to get you to fall for it. Like a little kid
saying aliens came and ate all the cookies, which is cute in a
3-year-old and ridiculous in a grown adult.

If he's really just preying on gullible people without believing it
himself, I'm not sure how I feel about that. A combination of respect
and disgust towards him, I suppose. :-)

From: Darren New
Date: 17 Nov 2007 23:52:56
Message: <473fc528$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   Regardless of what is the truth, that just seems to be mocking for the
> sake of mocking. "Hahahaa! Look at all those idiots!"

By the way, do you object to the mocking, or the desire to mock, or the
mocking not to his face?  All of the above?  Would it be OK to think
everything this guy said but just not say it out loud, because it's a
politeness thing? Or do you think it's wrong to be so harsh of someone's
fringe ideas at all?

Just trying to see where you're coming from.

From: Warp
Date: 17 Nov 2007 23:53:30
Message: <473fc549@news.povray.org>
andrel <a_l### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
>  From reading this thread and others before this, I know that you have a
> rather different idea of what evolution theory comprises than what is
> common in my surroundings.

  That's curious, given that I have made absolutely no claims about the
evolution theory. (The only claim I have made even remotely related to
that is the generic claim that it's perfectly valid to doubt a theory,
any theory, even if you can't offer any plausible alternative. Note,
however, that I'm not saying *I* doubt some theory here. I'm just saying
that it's *valid* to doubt a theory.)

  People tend to read too much between the lines.

> >   Similar physiology between animals and humans doesn't prove evolution.
> > It only proves that there's similar physiology between animals and humans.
> > (*Evidence* is different from *proof*.)
> >
> The physiology is so mind boggling similar that the only explanation is
> a common descent.

  "I can't think of any other explanation" is no proof. Really strong
evidence yes, but no proof.

> You can not *disprove* that at some point in time both
> species were independently created. But why would the creator copy
> everything from one design to another, including all the bugs, patches
> and obsolete code?

  Now you are talking philosophically. Philosophical arguments are no
proof of anything.

> Again, there is no way to disprove such a lack of
> creativity, but why would you replace a perfectly acceptable explanation
> by a rabbit out of a hat?

  The simplest explanation is not always the correct explanation.
Simplicity is no proof.

--
                                                          - Warp