11 Oct 2024 23:10:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Getting Kenned Ham, without paying.
From: Charles C
Date: 16 Nov 2007 23:19:45
Message: <473e6be1@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott wrote:
> In article <473e5a14@news.povray.org>, Charles C <"nospam a nospam.com">
> says...
>> The claim by the defendants in the case (the school board) was that
>> intelligent design is not religious and it is not creationism.  The
>> plaintiffs got very lucking in finding one very interesting piece of
>> evidence:  the 'missing link between creationism and intelligent
>> design', namely the word "cintelligent designism" (or something like
>> that). There was a 1980's paper which had been updated to replace all
>> instances of "creationism" to "intelligent design" after a different
>> court case, but had not been edited very carefully.  There was a strong
>> connection between this paper and an intelligent-design textbook donated
>> to the Dover school district, which made it more difficult for the
>> plaintiffs to insist that there was no religious intent involved.
>>
> Umm. No, it wasn't a paper, it was a book called "Of Pandas and People"
> and they where **trying** to get it used as a science text in the
> schools. Only, when they couldn't get it in on the grounds of its

OK, you're right.  I know the textbook was "Of Pandas and People" but I
had been thinking that the textbook was borrowing language from another
originally-creationist paper.  That paper, you're right, is none other
than an early draft of "Pandas" as subpoena'ed by the plaintiffs' side
of the case.

> religious content, they edited it, removing all references to
> "creation" with "intelligent design", then tried again. In the original
> court case I am not sure they found the "cintelligent designism" part,
> but they *did* find an earlier copy of the book that differed in content
> *only* by the replacement of one word with its new alternate. Umm. Also
> not sure you got it right. The latest joke posts about, "proof of the
> evolution of creation", claim that the resulting word was, "cdesign
> proponentsists", and there has been some discussion of using that as the
> "name" for people from the Discovery Institute and others that support
> ID.

You are correct again.  That's why I put a disclaimer in parenthesis "or
something like that".

Charles