POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Getting Kenned Ham, without paying. Server Time
12 Oct 2024 07:13:26 EDT (-0400)
  Getting Kenned Ham, without paying. (Message 121 to 130 of 588)
From: andrel
Subject: Re: Getting Kenned Ham, without paying.
Date: 19 Nov 2007 16:06:05
Message: <4741FBCA.2060605@hotmail.com>
Warp wrote:
> andrel <a_l### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
>>>   Btw, why is it that every time I express my opinion that we should
>>> respect other people and not make fun of them nor insult them, I get
>>> strong opposition? This is something that always keeps puzzling me.
>>>
>> My guess is that it is the way you express that opinion.
>
>   And my guess that part of the problem is that people want to read
> more than there is. In this case they wanted to see me defending young
> earth creationism only because I opposed page which sole purpose seemed
> to be to mock some museum dedicated to that, even though I made quite
> clear that I opposed only the mockery, the making fun of other people,
> nothing else.
>
>   In other cases, however, I just can't understand it. For example if
> I say that we should not make fun of the head of state of another country,
> people opposed me like mad. No rational explanation for that came up in
> the lengthy flamewar. I still can't understand this.

In most cases it is because you seem to be able to phrase your arguments
in such a way that you annoy people. You also seem totally unaware that
if you offend someone it is civil to apologize. In stead you fall back
on "I did not mean to offend, so I don't have to apologize" which
degenerates in a few posts to calling the offended stupid because he
does not understand you did not mean it, or something that amounts to
the same. You probably disagree, but IMHO your ability to understand
other peoples feeling is below average. That in itself should not have
to be a problem. If I take an on-line test to see if I am autistic I am
on the wrong side of the line too. And so will be a large proportion of
the people here. But there is no problem as long as you know it for
yourself. If you had backed off in these discussions after a few
iterations thinking "oops I did it again" *) it would have never
deteriorated into a flamewar. The sad thing of course is that many
people agree with you, but don't want to step into your flamewars for no
good reason. Hence you feel frustrated that nobody else sees the
obvious. Which enrages you even more ...

Disclaimer: this is based on a variety of observations over many years,
I won't give any specific examples because you will then show that in
your opinion I am wrong in that specific case. ;)
Ok, you talked me into it, one small recent one. At the end of a lengthy
discussion on evolution and if there are other possibilities, you came
up with nothing better than that every theory may in the end turn out to
be false. What on earth were you thinking? That we are a bunch of
uneducated stupid morons? Have you never contemplated that we all know
that and that when you start a flamewar using only that as ammunition
it'll take us a lot of iterations to understand that you really mean
just that? Not because we disagree, but because it is so basic that it
is incredible offensive to use it as a trump card. Surely Warp with his
level of intelligence knows better than that... 5 levels deeper: oops he
didn't. I still can't really believe it and the evidence suggests that
you managed to annoy even Gilles with that one.

If you feel offended by this one: I am sorry, I did not mean it that way.

*) totally aside, I have never been able to find the 'reflective spears
on a checkered plane' again. Somebody once did that, years ago. I think
it was around the time of the 'checkered spear on a reflective plane'
(the wood implement) and other silly RSOCP variants.

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 19 Nov 2007 17:18:41
Message: <47420bc1@news.povray.org>
andrel <a_l### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> you your
> you You
> you you
> you
> You your
> you
> yourself you
> you
> you
> you

> you
> your
> you
> you
> you
> you
> you
> Warp
> you

> you

  You don't seriously expect such a lengthy personal attack to have any
effect, do you?

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Ross
Date: 19 Nov 2007 17:19:10
Message: <47420bde$1@news.povray.org>
> Patrick Elliott <sel### [at] rraznet> wrote:
> > >
> > >   You sound like a religious fanatic.
> > >
> > Why? Because I got a bit annoyed and dared to ask a question?
>
>   Because you used symbolized expletives where none was really needed,
> and your overall tone was quite strong. Fanatics tend to shout and use
> expletives when having a "discussion" with someone they disagree with.
>
> --
>                                                           - Warp

For shame. Now you're just mocking him for the sake of mocking.

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 19 Nov 2007 17:39:15
Message: <47421093@news.povray.org>
Ross <rli### [at] speakeasynet> wrote:
> For shame. Now you're just mocking him for the sake of mocking.

  How unimaginative to reuse the same old joke someone else already used.

  What next? Some incomprehensive allusion to rabbits?

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: andrel
Date: 19 Nov 2007 17:42:54
Message: <4742127B.1060901@hotmail.com>
Warp wrote:
> andrel <a_l### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
>> you your
>> you You
>> you you
>> you
>> You your
>> you
>> yourself you
>> you
>> you
>> you
>
>> you
>> your
>> you
>> you
>> you
>> you
>> you
>> Warp
>> you
>
>> you
>
>   You don't seriously expect such a lengthy personal attack to have any
> effect, do you?

No, because I was addressing you. (That is meant as a matter of fact,
not as another personal attack, but you won't believe that either, I
guess).

BTW it was absolutely not a personal attack, can't see what makes you
think so. It was just an explanation why people react the way they do.
Mainly because you asked for that explanation. I am sorry that you
didn't like the answer.

D*mn there are another 6 you's in this. ;)

Post a reply to this message

From: Ross
Date: 19 Nov 2007 17:59:58
Message: <4742156e$1@news.povray.org>
> andrel <a_l### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> > >   Btw, why is it that every time I express my opinion that we should
> > > respect other people and not make fun of them nor insult them, I get
> > > strong opposition? This is something that always keeps puzzling me.
> > >
> > My guess is that it is the way you express that opinion.
>
>   And my guess that part of the problem is that people want to read
> more than there is. In this case they wanted to see me defending young
> earth creationism only because I opposed page which sole purpose seemed
> to be to mock some museum dedicated to that, even though I made quite
> clear that I opposed only the mockery, the making fun of other people,
> nothing else.
>
>   In other cases, however, I just can't understand it. For example if
> I say that we should not make fun of the head of state of another country,
> people opposed me like mad. No rational explanation for that came up in
> the lengthy flamewar. I still can't understand this.

Are you the authority on rational explanations? As a participant of the
argument, I don't think you are suited to be that judge.

Post a reply to this message

From: Ross
Date: 19 Nov 2007 18:25:42
Message: <47421b76$1@news.povray.org>
"Gilles Tran" <gitran_nospam_@wanadoo.fr> wrote in message
> layed out by Claude Bernard in 1865. Here are some quotes:
>
> "When we meet a fact which contradicts a prevailing theory, we must accept
> the fact and abandon the theory, even when the theory is supported by
great
> names and generally accepted"
>
> "Theories are only verified hypotheses, verified by more or less numerous
> facts. Those verified by the most facts are the best, but even then they
are
> never final, never to be absolutely believed."
>
> If you haven't read his book "An introduction to the study of experimental
> medicine" you should, it's a fantastic read.
>
> G.

So we should stop talking of Creationism as a Theory, right? Are there any
facts supporting it's Hypothesis? If not, we should begin calling it the
Hypothesis of Creationism.

They have stolen our words and weakened them.

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 19 Nov 2007 18:29:08
Message: <47421c44@news.povray.org>
Ross <rli### [at] speakeasynet> wrote:
> Are you the authority on rational explanations? As a participant of the
> argument, I don't think you are suited to be that judge.

  Perhaps you didn't see words like "my guess is that" in my text?
Does that kind of wording sound like I'm stating a fact or does it sound
like I'm simply speculating?

  Well, this just confirms that people only see what they want to see,
not what it's written.

  I suppose it's Murphy's law applied to internet forums: If a message can
be interpreted in more than one way, someone will interpret it in the worst
possible way. (Which is especially true if they *want* to interpret it in
the worst possible way because of who is writing.)

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Ross
Date: 19 Nov 2007 18:39:25
Message: <47421ead$1@news.povray.org>
> Warp wrote:
> >> While mocking people is indeed rude (even tho I don't rule it out), how
> >> do you feel about mocking ideas?
> >
> >   I think you are resorting to a technicality of definitions.
>
> I'm really not. I spent quite some time developing a separation between
> my sense of self and the ideas I currently hold. If you read what I type
> carefully, you can often even see it in the way I frame statements.
:snip:
> They've already been debunked. If one still wishes to believe that in
> spite of debunking, it seems obvious that only an irrational approach
> has a possibility of changing your mind. Hence the mocking.

Warp hates the mocking and has yet to offer a viable option to it other than
"Continue to try to convince by presenting the facts." Yet this has failed,
and failed, and failed. Rather than continue the insanity loop, what should
one do?

Post a reply to this message

From: Vincent Le Chevalier
Date: 19 Nov 2007 18:43:35
Message: <47421fa7$1@news.povray.org>
Wow wow hold on...

Then Ross wrote:
> Are you the authority on rational explanations? As a participant of the
> argument, I don't think you are suited to be that judge.

to which you replied:
> Perhaps you didn't see words like "my guess is that" in my text?
> Does that kind of wording sound like I'm stating a fact or does it sound
> like I'm simply speculating?

Your previous sentences sure look like stating a fact to me... And the
"my guess is that" in another paragrah is not changing that.

--
Vincent