POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Just a passing thought on religion Server Time
6 Sep 2024 15:17:24 EDT (-0400)
  Just a passing thought on religion (Message 1 to 10 of 176)
From: Darren New
Subject: Just a passing thought on religion
Date: 21 Dec 2008 13:43:50
Message: <494E8E63.90004@san.rr.com>
The existence of "free will" negates the argument that God must have created
the universe as a "first cause".

The "first cause" argument is that every effect has a cause, and hence for
the universe to exist, something before the universe must have caused it,
and hence God exists.[1]

On the other hand, either our decisions are caused by what's in the
environment, or some aspect of our decisions are not subject to prior
causes. In the first case, it would be unjust to blame someone for not
believing in your religion if such disbelief is entirely the fault of
external circumstances. In the latter case, many decisions have effects
without precedent cause, and hence the requirement for God to have created
the universe disappears.

Thoughts?

[1] ("God created the universe" -> "Jesus died for your sins" is left as an
exercise for the reader.)

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)

> In the first case, it would be unjust to blame someone for not
> believing in your religion if such disbelief is entirely the fault of
> external circumstances.

Well, if you try to make someone believe in your religion, you are *being*
an "external circumstance" to him.

Post a reply to this message

No, it's Christmas and I'm not in the mood for such flamewars. ;)

Post a reply to this message

> On the other hand, either our decisions are caused by what's in the
> environment, or some aspect of our decisions are not subject to prior
> causes. In the first case, it would be unjust to blame someone for not
> believing in your religion if such disbelief is entirely the fault of
> external circumstances. In the latter case, many decisions have effects
> without precedent cause, and hence the requirement for God to have
> created
> the universe disappears.
>
> Thoughts?

Why should God's having created the universe be a requirement?  From
everything I've studied and learned, it seems that God doesn't like proof
of his own existence.

...Ben Chambers
www.pacificwebguy.com

Post a reply to this message