POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Germ Theory Denialism Server Time
3 Sep 2024 23:29:22 EDT (-0400)
  Germ Theory Denialism (Message 41 to 50 of 131)
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: Germ Theory Denialism
Date: 21 Dec 2010 12:58:43
Message: <4d10ead3$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   Being more lenient of criticism of the "majority" and stricter of criticism
> of a "minority" is a double standard

Not necessarily. If the minority of 10 people say something that offends
10,000 people, should they be punished 1000 times as much as if the 10,000
people say something that offends the 10 people?

In other words, it doesn't come down to "lenient" or "strict" unless someone
gets offended. If I criticize you in a way that doesn't upset you, we don't
have this sort of conversation.

But if I issue criticism that offends some people, I'm much more likely to
offend someone in a "majority" than a "minority."  I might say something
that offends some minority of which there are 5000 who might hear it, take
offense, and complain about it. Or I might say something equally offensive
that any of 100million people might hear, take offense, and complain about.
If there's a 0.001% chance of anyone being sufficiently offended as to take
it to court, then guess which criticism is treated more strictly?

So, basically, I think you have to count the number of people who might be
offended in with the severity of the offense to make any sense out of
"strict" or "lenient".

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Serving Suggestion: