POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Germ Theory Denialism : Re: Germ Theory Denialism Server Time
4 Sep 2024 01:15:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Germ Theory Denialism
From: Darren New
Date: 21 Dec 2010 15:32:50
Message: <4d110ef2$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>>>   *Why* does the minority need special protection? Why are double standards
>>> necessary?
>
>> I would think this is obvious. If you have a pure democracy, you have two
>> wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
>
>   Bad example. You seem to be arguing that a wolf eating the other wolf
> is ok, only a wolf eating the sheep is bad, and hence the sheep requires
> special protection.

No, I'm arguing that the majority will vote to take advantage of the
minority without additional protections the majority can't overrule.

>   The law should be the same for everybody.

Sure. Let's make it the law that you can't criticize islam, and the penalty
is death. Fair, right? Very democratic. The law is the same for everyone,
muslims and christians and atheists alike.

Again, the point I'm trying to make is that a minority with less power needs
more ability to defend itself than a majority with a great amount of power
needs to defend itself against a small minority.

Now, you may simply disagree with that, but I haven't seen you give any good
arguments beyond assertions, and I'm not sure that you're disagreeing as
opposed to misunderstanding me.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Serving Suggestion: