POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Product Mysteries Server Time
3 Sep 2024 23:28:46 EDT (-0400)
  Product Mysteries (Message 41 to 50 of 79)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: Product Mysteries
Date: 27 Jan 2011 15:40:49
Message: <4d41d851@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 19:52:06 +0000, Stephen wrote:

>> Yeah, Delta has been doing it for about a year on selected flights, and
>> over the holidays, Google sponsored it (so it was free).
>>
> In the UK, on some trains, there are some coaches that are designated
> "quite zones". No laptops, music players or phones are allowed. You even
> have to turn your book pages quietly.

There are times I'd really like that, especially flying.  :-)

>> Interestingly, they seem to block wifi-capable cell phones (my cell
>> wouldn't connect to it), but my eReader (based on Android, same as my
>> phone) had no problems - so I sent text messages using my Nook (via
>> Google Voice) to let people know my flight was delayed but that we were
>> finally en route.
>>
> Do you mean that your phone could not get onto the internet? A
> colleague, who could not get a phone signal at a hotel I stayed at
> recently, was able to phone home (to France) via Skype on the hotels
> WiFi.

Yes, my phone couldn't connect to their wifi to get on the 'net.  It
would get an address and then immediately be dropped.  I'm guessing they
have something that knows the MAC address ranges for various devices and
blocks the ones that are cell phones - probably so people don't have to
remember to turn off their cell signal (which you're still not allowed to
use).

> Which reminds me: How did the passengers on the doomed 7/11 flights
> manage to phone home and leave messages?

There's probably nothing that prevents the cell signal from being used,
and if the plane is already doomed, turning on a cell phone isn't likely
to make things worse.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

On 27/01/2011 8:40 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:

>>> Yeah, Delta has been doing it for about a year on selected flights, and
>>> over the holidays, Google sponsored it (so it was free).
>>>
>> In the UK, on some trains, there are some coaches that are designated
>> "quite zones". No laptops, music players or phones are allowed. You even
>> have to turn your book pages quietly.
>
> There are times I'd really like that, especially flying.  :-)

I know what you mean. :-)

>> Do you mean that your phone could not get onto the internet? A
>> colleague, who could not get a phone signal at a hotel I stayed at
>> recently, was able to phone home (to France) via Skype on the hotels
>> WiFi.
>
> Yes, my phone couldn't connect to their wifi to get on the 'net.  It
> would get an address and then immediately be dropped.  I'm guessing they
> have something that knows the MAC address ranges for various devices and
> blocks the ones that are cell phones - probably so people don't have to
> remember to turn off their cell signal (which you're still not allowed to
> use).

Nanny State ;-)

>> Which reminds me: How did the passengers on the doomed 7/11 flights
>> manage to phone home and leave messages?
>
> There's probably nothing that prevents the cell signal from being used,
> and if the plane is already doomed, turning on a cell phone isn't likely
> to make things worse.

I'm surprised they got a signal, that's all.

--
Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 21:21:05 +0000, Stephen wrote:

>> Yes, my phone couldn't connect to their wifi to get on the 'net.  It
>> would get an address and then immediately be dropped.  I'm guessing
>> they have something that knows the MAC address ranges for various
>> devices and blocks the ones that are cell phones - probably so people
>> don't have to remember to turn off their cell signal (which you're
>> still not allowed to use).
>>
> Nanny State ;-)

Thhhpt! :-)  Technically, that's not the state, that's the airline. ;-P

>>> Which reminds me: How did the passengers on the doomed 7/11 flights
>>> manage to phone home and leave messages?
>>
>> There's probably nothing that prevents the cell signal from being used,
>> and if the plane is already doomed, turning on a cell phone isn't
>> likely to make things worse.
>>
> I'm surprised they got a signal, that's all.

I'm not, radio coverage is generally not a problem - the two reasons I've
heard for turning off a cell phone are interference with the onboard fly-
by-wire systems (something I still doubt, though not as much as I used
to) and because the cell towers can/used to be confused by seeing phones
switching towers so quickly.  The latter probably isn't as big of a
concern any more for the carriers, and probably doesn't cause problems
(per se) but just a lot of extra bandwidth used to switch the signal from
one tower to the next, only to have it change again almost immediately.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

On 27/01/2011 10:50 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:

>> Nanny State ;-)
>
> Thhhpt! :-)  Technically, that's not the state, that's the airline. ;-P

Reel it in, I've got a bite. ;-)

>> I'm surprised they got a signal, that's all.
>
> I'm not, radio coverage is generally not a problem -

That surprises me.

> the two reasons I've
> heard for turning off a cell phone are interference with the onboard fly-
> by-wire systems (something I still doubt, though not as much as I used
> to)

I've been in a turbine control room when someone used a hand held radio.
The dials went round the clock and the annunciator board lit up like a
Christmas tree. So I can see that being possible.

> and because the cell towers can/used to be confused by seeing phones
> switching towers so quickly.  The latter probably isn't as big of a
> concern any more for the carriers, and probably doesn't cause problems
> (per se) but just a lot of extra bandwidth used to switch the signal from
> one tower to the next, only to have it change again almost immediately.

I can't see that being much of a problem to life and safety.

--
Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message