POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Product Mysteries Server Time
4 Sep 2024 01:21:27 EDT (-0400)
  Product Mysteries (Message 30 to 39 of 79)
From: Invisible
Subject: Re: Product Mysteries
Date: 27 Jan 2011 10:12:12
Message: <4d418b4c$1@news.povray.org>
On 27/01/2011 03:01 PM, Warp wrote:
> Jim Henderson<nos### [at] nospamcom>  wrote:
>> You'd be shocked to learn that 8086 and even 8085 processors are still in
>> use.  Generally (in my experience) in aviation, where high speed is less
>> important than reliability, stability, and the ability to operate without
>> generating a lot of heat (which increases the life of the chip).
>
>    One could assume that if a 8086 was redesigned with modern technology,
> it could be built to take a hundreth of the space, made to consume a tenth
> of the energy and to produce a tenth of heat.

On the other hand, presumably doing so would cost money. Stamping out
copies of the design that already exists does not cost money. (Or
rather, it costs *almost* no money.)

Then again, I gather there's a thriving business in "IP cores"...

Post a reply to this message

On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 10:01:30 -0500, Warp wrote:

>> You'd be shocked to learn that 8086 and even 8085 processors are still
>> in use.  Generally (in my experience) in aviation, where high speed is
>> less important than reliability, stability, and the ability to operate
>> without generating a lot of heat (which increases the life of the
>> chip).
>
>   One could assume that if a 8086 was redesigned with modern technology,
> it could be built to take a hundreth of the space, made to consume a
> tenth of the energy and to produce a tenth of heat.

But there's no need to do so, the original design meets the specs and
requirements.

Jim

Post a reply to this message