POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Regarding Australian content filtering... Server Time
3 Sep 2024 15:15:38 EDT (-0400)
  Regarding Australian content filtering... (Message 1 to 10 of 27)
From: UncleHoot
Subject: Regarding Australian content filtering...
Date: 20 Jan 2011 16:57:51
Message: <4d38afdf$1@news.povray.org>
You can read about it here:
http://www.efa.org.au/category/censorship/mandatory-isp-filtering/

What I'm almost immediately reminded of, is the backstory of Ray Bradbury's
classic "Fahrenheit 451".  While the government is often seen as being
totalitarian in that book, I have always viewed it as a protectionist,
decadent consumerist democracy (I think I got all the adjectives in there).
While I haven't read the book in 20+ years, my recollection (which may even
be wrong! lol) was that the society had essentially decided that books did
more harm than good.  And who needs books?  You can get everything you need
from watching your gigantic television (parlor room), or driving your car at
200mph.  Trade-in those harmful concepts for a sheltered life that is free
from guilt and pain...  Utopia!

In that vein, I think an updated Fahrenheit 451 would start out just like
this.  Initiate a filter that removes "harmful" (or illegal)
content/material, then keep expanding the definition of "harmful".
Eventually, intelligent bots can do it for us, so no one even needs to know
what "harmful" is anymore.  Fast forward a few decades...

Post a reply to this message