POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Kindling Server Time
5 Sep 2024 17:20:13 EDT (-0400)
  Kindling (Message 251 to 260 of 520)
From: Invisible
Subject: Re: Kindling
Date: 20 Jan 2011 08:19:31
Message: <4d383663$1@news.povray.org>
>> And besides, I didn't say there was *no* difference. I just said the
>> difference was rather small. Certainly not worth paying tens of
>> thousands of pounds for.
>
> They're now the standard TV sets and you don't pay much more than what you used
> to pay for.

Yeah, sure. Buy a new TV. Buy a new signal decoder. By a new disk
player. All for what? A noticeable but small increase in picture
sharpness. Big deal.

>> Increasing the framerate does sound like one hell of a good idea. On the
>> other hand, they'll probably just increase it from 50 Hz to 55 Hz and
>> call it "extreme motion" or something. :-P
>
> Nope, it's 120hz and very visible a difference.

Not having watched any video at 120 Hz, I couldn't say. (And are you
saying there are actual plans to implement this? Or just that you've
seen it somewhere?)

By the way, normal TV (in my country) is 50 Hz, but that's interlaced,
so it's actually 50 *half frames* per second. It's a piffling 25 *full
frames* per second. How does progressive scan change this? Is it still
only 25 full frames per second? Or does it actually allow 50 full frames
per second?

Post a reply to this message

> >> And besides, I didn't say there was *no* difference. I just said the
> >> difference was rather small. Certainly not worth paying tens of
> >> thousands of pounds for.
> >
> > They're now the standard TV sets and you don't pay much more than what you used
> > to pay for.
>
> Yeah, sure. Buy a new TV. Buy a new signal decoder. By a new disk
> player. All for what? A noticeable but small increase in picture
> sharpness. Big deal.

If I was you, I'd first buy new glasses and then actually stare at the TV rather
than at a specs sheet..

> >> Increasing the framerate does sound like one hell of a good idea. On the
> >> other hand, they'll probably just increase it from 50 Hz to 55 Hz and
> >> call it "extreme motion" or something. :-P
> >
> > Nope, it's 120hz and very visible a difference.
>
> Not having watched any video at 120 Hz, I couldn't say. (And are you
> saying there are actual plans to implement this? Or just that you've
> seen it somewhere?)

Like I said, I've seen.  It's easy, you go outside and enter some store...

> By the way, normal TV (in my country) is 50 Hz, but that's interlaced,
> so it's actually 50 *half frames* per second. It's a piffling 25 *full
> frames* per second. How does progressive scan change this? Is it still
> only 25 full frames per second? Or does it actually allow 50 full frames
> per second?

beats me.  Just looks terrific.  Then again, I don't use glasses

Post a reply to this message