POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Kindling : Re: Kindling Server Time
5 Sep 2024 19:24:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Kindling
From: Invisible
Date: 20 Jan 2011 08:19:31
Message: <4d383663$1@news.povray.org>
>> And besides, I didn't say there was *no* difference. I just said the
>> difference was rather small. Certainly not worth paying tens of
>> thousands of pounds for.
>
> They're now the standard TV sets and you don't pay much more than what you used
> to pay for.

Yeah, sure. Buy a new TV. Buy a new signal decoder. By a new disk
player. All for what? A noticeable but small increase in picture
sharpness. Big deal.

>> Increasing the framerate does sound like one hell of a good idea. On the
>> other hand, they'll probably just increase it from 50 Hz to 55 Hz and
>> call it "extreme motion" or something. :-P
>
> Nope, it's 120hz and very visible a difference.

Not having watched any video at 120 Hz, I couldn't say. (And are you
saying there are actual plans to implement this? Or just that you've
seen it somewhere?)

By the way, normal TV (in my country) is 50 Hz, but that's interlaced,
so it's actually 50 *half frames* per second. It's a piffling 25 *full
frames* per second. How does progressive scan change this? Is it still
only 25 full frames per second? Or does it actually allow 50 full frames
per second?