POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Molecular biology Server Time
9 Oct 2024 23:23:20 EDT (-0400)
  Molecular biology (Message 96 to 105 of 465)
From: Warp
Subject: Re: Molecular biology
Date: 10 Jan 2011 12:10:35
Message: <4d2b3d8b@news.povray.org>
> Heck, Bill O'Reilly (one of the FOX News guys) just recently tried to say
> that nobody understands how tides work, and that's proof that God exists.

  It seems that "nobody knows how this works" and "science has no explanation
for" are pretty common claims among young-earth creationists and conspiracy
theorists. What makes them rather egregious is that there most often *is*
a pretty good explanation for those things, but the person making the claim
has either been duped by someone that there isn't (and he lacks even the
most basic of independent critical thinking), he deliberately refuses to
accept the explanation (no matter how simple and understandable it might be)
or he is outright lying (which, I suspect, is a very common case).

  The sad thing is that this kind of claims will be believed by many who
already have a basic bias to accepting such claims. You can claim almost
anything to person holding a belief, and the person will accept the claim
completely uncritically if it supports his belief, without ever even
bothering to try to find out if it's actually true.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

On Mon, 10 Jan 2011 12:10:35 -0500, Warp wrote:

>> Heck, Bill O'Reilly (one of the FOX News guys) just recently tried to
>> say that nobody understands how tides work, and that's proof that God
>> exists.
>
>   It seems that "nobody knows how this works" and "science has no
>   explanation
> for" are pretty common claims among young-earth creationists and
> conspiracy theorists.

Indeed that does seem to be the case.

> What makes them rather egregious is that there
> most often *is* a pretty good explanation for those things, but the
> person making the claim has either been duped by someone that there
> isn't (and he lacks even the most basic of independent critical
> thinking), he deliberately refuses to accept the explanation (no matter
> how simple and understandable it might be) or he is outright lying
> (which, I suspect, is a very common case).

I would tend to agree.  That's the problem with religious (or any
superstitious, for that matter) belief.  Anything that flies in the face
of that deeply held belief tends to be discarded (unless the person is
perfectly willing to accept the dogma as being incorrect - and in
fairness, some religions do seem to promote critical thinking - Judaism
comes to mind).  Some people just can't accept that things don't work the
way they think they work, even if they have absolutely no scientific
background that would help them understand the actual science of how it
works.

In O'Reilly's case, he seems to have flunked basic physics and/or
geometry.  Take two spherical objects, rotate one around the other while
spinning it, and see how the objects look in relation to each other.
OMG, the sun goes up and down regularly because there's an actual
physical explanation!  Who would have known that?

(Well, in Galileo's time, certainly, that was questionable - but it's
frightening to think that someone living in the modern world has only the
scientific understanding that was popular several hundred years ago).

>   The sad thing is that this kind of claims will be believed by many who
> already have a basic bias to accepting such claims. You can claim almost
> anything to person holding a belief, and the person will accept the
> claim completely uncritically if it supports his belief, without ever
> even bothering to try to find out if it's actually true.

Yes.  Belief presupposes proof, because with proof, one doesn't need
belief.

But I accept that some people aren't content with there being things they
don't know - so if they have to belief in a big guy in the sky in order
to be content, that's fine with me, so long as they don't prevent the
rest of us from sharing how things *actually* work with those who want to
know how things actually work.  For example, pushing creationism as
"science" in the classroom.  I'm sorry, but "God did it" isn't a
scientific principle, and it doesn't belong in a science classroom.  You
want to teach that in church, fine.  Go ahead.  Knock yourself out.  Oh,
and give kids the choice to decide for themselves whether they want to
bury their heads in the sand and just accept "God did it" as an
explanation for everything or if they want to learn how it really works -
even if *nobody* knows.  Hell, *especially* if nobody knows.

But keep it out of the public school classroom.

Jim

Post a reply to this message