  Re: Molecular biology
From: Warp
Date: 10 Jan 2011 12:10:35
Message: <4d2b3d8b@news.povray.org>
> Heck, Bill O'Reilly (one of the FOX News guys) just recently tried to say
> that nobody understands how tides work, and that's proof that God exists.

  It seems that "nobody knows how this works" and "science has no explanation
for" are pretty common claims among young-earth creationists and conspiracy
theorists. What makes them rather egregious is that there most often *is*
a pretty good explanation for those things, but the person making the claim
has either been duped by someone that there isn't (and he lacks even the
most basic of independent critical thinking), he deliberately refuses to
accept the explanation (no matter how simple and understandable it might be)
or he is outright lying (which, I suspect, is a very common case).

  The sad thing is that this kind of claims will be believed by many who
already have a basic bias to accepting such claims. You can claim almost
anything to person holding a belief, and the person will accept the claim
completely uncritically if it supports his belief, without ever even
bothering to try to find out if it's actually true.

--
                                                          - Warp