POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Molecular biology Server Time
4 Sep 2024 05:18:38 EDT (-0400)
  Molecular biology (Message 71 to 80 of 465)
From: Invisible
Subject: Re: Molecular biology
Date: 10 Jan 2011 04:38:25
Message: <4d2ad391$1@news.povray.org>
On 07/01/2011 10:25 PM, Warp wrote:

>    I think you are confused. The modern banana (that yellow one) is
> only something like 200 years old. It's the product of a mutation of
> a single wild banana plant which suddenly started growing that yellow
> sweet version. The wild banana is much smaller, green, full of seeds
> and almost inedible in raw form.
>
>    The mutation in question is actually so severe that the modern banana
> plant is sterile: It cannot reproduce by itself, requiring human
> intervention for cultivation (this happens mainly by transplanting
> underground stems or tissue cultures).
>
>    (Ironically, the modern banana is so mutated that it can be considered
> by all practical means "unnatural", as without human intervention it would
> have died right from that very first mutated plant 200 years ago, which
> makes it a perfect example of gene manipulation by humans, yet people who
> strongly oppose gene manipulation have usually no problems in eating
> bananas.)

Well, there are plenty of other plants that are so mutated that they are
now incapable of reproducing for themselves but for some special animal
that farms them. (I might mention, for example, the fungi that
leafcutter ants culture, for example.) The natural world is full of
complex partnerships such as this. I don't think you could call the
banana "unatural".

As for people who oppose genetic engineering, they will argue that
bananas are OK, because the gene alteration happened "naturally". If the
gene alteration had happened because of a man in a white coat, that
would obviously be "unatural", which is bad. Obviously.

Post a reply to this message