  Re: Molecular biology
From: Warp
Date: 10 Jan 2011 10:13:24
Message: <4d2b2214@news.povray.org>
Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
> >    As for math, would you say that, for example, the branch of mathematics
> > called geometry studies how the real world works or not?

> Which geometry? Euclidean geometry? Elliptic geometry? Hyperbolic
> geometry? Some sort of non-homogeneous geometry?

> Pure mathematics studies these geometries purely for their own sake. One
> or other of them /may/ correspond to the real world.

  The very word "geometry" means "measuring land" (from ancient greek
geo = earth/land, metri = measurement). Geometry is one of the oldest
branches of mathematics (probably only preceded by elementary arithmetic)
and was, indeed, motivated by real-world applications (such as measuring
the area of a piece of land and dividing land into equal parts by area).

  If that's not science, I don't know what is.

--
                                                          - Warp