POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Molecular biology Server Time
10 Oct 2024 13:13:26 EDT (-0400)
  Molecular biology (Message 391 to 400 of 465)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: Molecular biology
Date: 29 Jan 2011 13:54:59
Message: <4d446283$1@news.povray.org>
On Sat, 29 Jan 2011 11:04:09 +0000, Stephen wrote:

>> Well, true, socially, I am fairly liberal.
>>

> Hmm! I forgot that, that word changes its meaning as it crosses the
> pond.

Well, not really a change, but there are nuances (in terms of political
usage of the word) that perhaps aren't common over there.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 29 Jan 2011 14:15:03
Message: <4d446737$1@news.povray.org>
On 29/01/2011 6:54 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Sat, 29 Jan 2011 11:04:09 +0000, Stephen wrote:
>

>> Hmm! I forgot that, that word changes its meaning as it crosses the
>> pond.
>
> Well, not really a change, but there are nuances (in terms of political
> usage of the word) that perhaps aren't common over there.

Yes, nuances is a better word. "Liberal" changes its meaning here
depending on whether it is spelt with a capital "L" or not.

--
Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

On Sat, 29 Jan 2011 19:14:52 +0000, Stephen wrote:

> On 29/01/2011 6:54 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
>> On Sat, 29 Jan 2011 11:04:09 +0000, Stephen wrote:
>>

>>> Hmm! I forgot that, that word changes its meaning as it crosses the
>>> pond.
>>
>> Well, not really a change, but there are nuances (in terms of political
>> usage of the word) that perhaps aren't common over there.
>>

> Yes, nuances is a better word. "Liberal" changes its meaning here
> depending on whether it is spelt with a capital "L" or not.

Interesting - so which meaning were you using?

Jim

Post a reply to this message

On 29/01/2011 7:32 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:

>> Yes, nuances is a better word. "Liberal" changes its meaning here
>> depending on whether it is spelt with a capital "L" or not.
>
> Interesting - so which meaning were you using?

With a small "l", Liberal is a political party. They used to be called
Whigs now they are just little "c"s

--
Regards
     Stephen