POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Molecular biology Server Time
10 Oct 2024 03:15:17 EDT (-0400)
  Molecular biology (Message 341 to 350 of 465)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: Molecular biology
Date: 27 Jan 2011 11:57:23
Message: <4d41a3f3$1@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 15:29:44 -0800, Darren New wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> On Tue, 25 Jan 2011 14:24:44 -0700, Patrick Elliott wrote:
>>
>>> The only flaw in that is you can't go back and "undo" things that
>>> already happened.
>>
>> Of course, and that's why I'm for gun control and tighter regulation of
>> guns in the US.  "Undo" is hard to do if not impossible when death is
>> involved.
>
> The problem is that it works both ways. You're just arguing that
> defenders should die instead of attackers. If there's tight regulation
> on gun control, you're letting those who ignore those regulations kill
> those who obey them, without that same "undo" you're trying to control.

Well, yes.

But I haven't looked to see how many people are killed accidentally by
guns as compared to those who are intentionally killed by guns in the US.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 27 Jan 2011 11:59:04
Message: <4d41a458$1@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 18:36:14 -0700, Patrick Elliott wrote:

> We do this on a regular basis for "companies" that are even as small as
> a mom and pop outfit, where they have to be actually *selling* what they
> claim, and it has to work as advertised.

And if someone uses something like Tarot and gets an outcome that matches
what they were aiming for, then it could be said to be "working as
advertised".  Yes, you and I both know that correlation is not causation,
but the fact of the matter is that someone calling in to Miss Cleo gets
their fortune told that they're going to (say) win the lottery, and they
win the lottery, hey, it worked as advertised.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

> But I haven't looked to see how many people are killed accidentally by
> guns as compared to those who are intentionally killed by guns in the US.

That's the wrong statistic. It should include the number of people saved by
guns in there somewhere.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
     "That was fatal?"