  Re: Molecular biology
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 28 Jan 2011 09:46:48
Message: <4d42d6d8$1@news.povray.org>
On 1/27/2011 12:25 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 10:57:57 -0800, Darren New wrote:
>
>> Jim Henderson wrote:
>>> But I haven't looked to see how many people are killed accidentally by
>>> guns as compared to those who are intentionally killed by guns in the
>>> US.
>>
>> That's the wrong statistic. It should include the number of people saved
>> by guns in there somewhere.
>
> Well, I'd argue that the number of accidental homicides, the number of
> intentional homicides, and the number of lives saved would all be
> relevant statistics to include.
>
> So not that it's the wrong statistic, but not the full set that should be
> included.
>
> Jim
Course.. The number "saved" is fairly arbitrary. You have to assume that
everyone "saved" couldn't have been without the gun, or even that some
that died in the same situation would have died anyway, had no gun been
involved. Precisely how do you quantify that, other than to flat out
ignore the problem, and just proclaim, "A gun was there, so they where
saved by one."?

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {