POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Molecular biology Server Time
5 Sep 2024 01:24:03 EDT (-0400)
  Molecular biology (Message 296 to 305 of 465)
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: Molecular biology
Date: 17 Jan 2011 12:43:47
Message: <4d347fd3$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   Even if somebody doesn't know what something is, he can still know what
> it isn't.

Fair enough. You said it so confidently that I thought you had  better
definition in mind.

>   Defining "species" based on the decisions made by groups of living beings
> (even if those decisions are instinctive) is just silly.

I disagree. The definition of "species" that I'm familiar with is "two
populations are distinct species if they can not or normally would not
interbreed."  So even if tigers and lions *could* have fertile offspring,
they'd still be different species because they're in different habitats.

>   The decision of whether two groups are of the same species should be
> doable by studying their genes only, without having to observe their
> behavior.

But the study I pointed to said nothing about the genes of the fruit flies.
You're *assuming* it's merely "instinctive behavoir" that didn't affect the
genes.

If your genes tell you not to interbreed, even if artificial insemination
would work, are you a different species?  What if a fertile offspring could
be produced, but only if humans put the embryo in a completely artificial
environment? I.e., if the mother could not bring the offspring to term
naturally?

Plus, of course, we can't really look at genes and tell whether the result
will be fertile offspring.  Maybe in theory that's true, but in practice,
while it's pretty easy to tell when the species are far apart, it might be
very difficult to tell if the species is very close together.

>   You didn't, but you make it sound like that when you overemphasize the
> role of behavior in the definition of "species".

And to me, you seem to be completely disregarding the role of behavior. I'm
not overemphasizing it except compared to you, perhaps. I'm just thinking
that if human technology has to get involved to create offspring, chances
are good they're different species. If I did genetic engineering to create a
creature that's half human, half ape, that wouldn't make humans and apes the
same species. And if I stick insulin-producing genes into a bacteria, does
that mean I have a new species or what?

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Serving Suggestion: