  Re: Molecular biology
From: Darren New
Date: 18 Jan 2011 13:31:16
Message: <4d35dc74$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> by which definition can you say that they are *already* different species
> when they are still fully capable of interbreeding?

Who says they are, if they won't?  I already supplied my definition. :-)

>> Imagine if a whale and a dolphin were genetically compatible. I'd still call
>> them separate species, because it would be impossible to bring a cross of
>> those two to term without the genetics of human beings.
>
>   You could as well argue that dog races which differ greatly in size are
> of different species. However, they are not considered such. Even if one
> dog race weights a hundred times more than another, they are still part
> of the same species.

I'm just trying to figure out what your definition might be.  I think
different dog races are the same species by my definition, while the whale
and dolphin would not be by my definition. So your analogy fails in that
respect.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Serving Suggestion: